How did you know your baby was ready for solids? What age did you start?

It's been so long since I have done this I forgot what I did with my son. I know I am suppose to start my baby with cereal but how much? When is a good time of the day and will I lose some milk supply? How many days do I fed her cereal before moving onto solids? Should I offer some solids after each nursing session minus any early morning feedings? Thanks everyone!

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 4:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids are now 12 and 14 but we started solid food at 6 month with my daughter and 5months with my son. I started with rice cereal and worked up slowly to fruits and vegies. I added something new every 5- 6 days to make sure each kid didn't have any allergic reaction to any of the foods.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 4:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i offered my baby about 1-2oz of cereal every morning when she was 4 months old. i fed her breastmilk/formula after she was done eating. and made sure she was full. i didn't give her the cereal at every feeding. When she turned 5 months old, i started out on stage 1 baby foods. when you first start out with the baby food, you are basically testing the foods to see if she is having allergic reactions.
    when i started feeding my baby solids, i fed her the 1-2oz of cereal in the morning followed by breastfeeding/formula. 3 hrs later i gave the baby a snack like puffs and breastfed after. 3 hrs later (lunch) 1 jar of stage 1 baby food and breastfed after. etc... that's how i did it. and it will come naturally to you on what your baby needs after you start your baby on solids.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Both of mine were 4-5 months old. My milk wasn't satisfying them like it used to and they wanted to eat constantly, and I mean constantly. I gave solids first, then nursed. Because they nursed after every meal my supply didn't go down. And the amount is up to the baby. Usually you're good starting with a few tablespoons and go from there. I had a decent gap between my girls so I signed up for the gerber website (for a refresher course). I put in the birthdate and I got automatic emails as my child grew, giving feeding advise, sleeping tips, etc. It's really a good resource. There's even sample menus you can look at. I didn't buy all their food, I made it, but it gave me good ideas. You'll have to copy and paste the link. For some reason it won't connect direct.

http://www.gerber.com/public/default.aspx
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 5:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't recommend it until at least 6 mos. Cereal isn't NECESSARY but you can start with it if you want. As long as you nurse before any solids, it shouldn't affect supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I never started any solids until the doctor told me it was okay. He also told us how often and how much.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I started solids around 6 months, first with cereal mixed to runny with breast milk or formula, then with baby food vegetables, one at a time for a few days so you know of any allergies. I started feeding once a day, like at lunch, and then slowly added in at other regular meal times. I always nursed shortly before hand so that she wouldn't fill up on food and miss her breast milk. I knew she was ready for more advanced things when she would intently watch me eating and kind of smack her lips together or reach for my food, and then if what I was eating was ok I would give her little bites. Just watch for signs of allergies- changes in poop, redness around the mouth or on the cheeks, are usually the first signs that a food is not being tolerated. Oh, and you will know if your child is not ready because they will reject the food from their mouth- they have a reflex to spit out solids that they eventually will outgrow.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• MaryMW-I am not sure if she is ready yet or not but I am going to wait until her 6 month birthday. She does watch me eat and try to grab stuff off our plates and out of our hands. Though she grabs at everything so that may not be a sign. I also see her "chewing" all the time now. It looks like she has gum in her mouth all the time. lol The doc said I can give her solids at anytime now. I told doc I put a spoon up to her mouth to see what she would do and she didn't open. Doc said then she isn't ready just yet. You think the "gum chewing" is a sign?
    anxious1stimer

Comment by anxious1stimer (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i started at 7months with home made baby food! i never did the rice stuff!! u can start whenever u and her are ready! and u really never have to start if u dont want to! u can breast feed until she is 9months to a year and then just give her table food and skip baby food all together!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• They practice for a long time before they are "ready". I knew my boys were ready when I put food in front of them and they picked it up, put it in their mouth, chewed it and swallowed. This was around 7-8 months both times. At least, I would look for sitting unassisted, a pincer grasp and the ability to chew... which means skipping cereal and purees and going right to something with actual texture (avocado, banana, baked sweet potato... all great options.) You CAN spoon feed, but I prefer to let them self feed because it continues the self-regulation they've been doing at the breast.

Your supply shouldn't drop when you start because they shouldn't be taking in enough to effect it. We started with once every few days, worked up to once a day and eventually at all mealtimes (well after a year... probably 16-18mos?). After every nursing session would be WAY too much.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Ha ha voted down for suggesting the AAP recommendations. Whatever.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2011