Pre-made Baby food or Homemade?

What is the best way to go? I saw a babyfood blender at Babies R Us and it steams the food too. Is this worth getting and needed to make the food perfectly?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 4:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The steamer-blender isn't worth it. It's easy to steam veggies, and you can mash them in a blender, food processor, hand blender, potato masher, or with a fork. It's a lot of money for something that does one thing. Plus, a lot of kids aren't into purees for very long.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Homemade for sure , just because you know what goes in it. Jar food just like procssed food has additives and our kids get enough when they are older so for a babies tummy id say homemade, ive seen the baby blenders they a re pretty cool but a good ol blender or food preocsser works fine. for veggies too i use to just cook them tell they were mush, my daughter love carrots i would cut them small and just let them cook down >
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i don't have a blender at home or a metal thing with holes to put in a pan to steam veggies or fruits naturally.... so i'm buying that BEABA BABYCOOK at babiesrus. cuz it has all in one and i don't have to dirty up multiple things just to make my baby a meal! i think it would definitely be worth it and it has so many great reviews!
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have plenty of blender so I should be fine. What types of food do you feed your babies and do you add anything to it? I am a SAHM to two kids (2 years and 5 months) so I am worried about not having enough time to do this.
    anxious1stimer

Comment by anxious1stimer (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• they have baby puree cook books. it's okay to season your food like you normally would. it doesn't hurt the baby. and i wouldn't make anything special. i would just blend whatever you make for the other kids and feed the baby that. at first of course start out with the basics, such at peas, carrots, green beans, squash, avacodo, etc. it's really easy.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would say homeade is the best. (If you have the time to make it). You can find all sorts of resorses and recipes for homade baby food on teh internet. And can pre freeze it too.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have a normal blender that has a food processor attachment and when the time comes I will only be using home made baby food, there is an AWESOME website that has recipes and helps you.. it all looks really easy!!!
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    babygirldue422

Answer by babygirldue422 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You don't need a blender/food processor or any other fancy cookware. A pot to steam veggies in and a fork are all you need! You can season it lightly, but I never saw any reason to - I wanted my kids to get used to the way natural fruits/veggies taste, not cover up the taste.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I use a steamer and a blender. Mashing doesn't get it smooth enough for my baby.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2011