what do i do for all the swelling in legs feet and hands. they look like they will explode should i be worried

gadget9588

Asked by gadget9588 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'd call the doctor for sure. Immediately

Answer by admckenzie at 5:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I agree, call the doctor. It could be nothing but it could be a sign of hypertension and pre-eclampsia.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• well im all icied in
    i was hoping i shouldnt worry
    gadget9588

Comment by gadget9588 (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My aunt went through the same ordeal and found out she had gestational diabetes, it maybe something to check into. I am told if you press your index finger and middle finger to your leg (or other swollen area) and it takes time for the skin to "bounce" back, it may be time to call your doctor.
    LadyLotus

Answer by LadyLotus at 5:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• oh i am 16 wks pregnant today
    what is pre eclampsia
    gadget9588

Comment by gadget9588 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Pre-eclampsia is pregnancy-induced high blood pressure. It does not start until week 20, so you're okay for now.

Edema (swelling) can be very painful. If you are snowed in, elevate your feet and drink lots of water.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• im trying to elevate feet lateley and i think i always drink lots of fluid.
    i will make an appointment with my doctor in the morning and see what he says im 42 yrs old and this one is so different then the other 2 i had 16 yrs and 23 yrs ago
    gadget9588

Comment by gadget9588 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• im just worrying cuz i dont want nothing to happen to this baby
    gadget9588

Comment by gadget9588 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Honestly, it seems strange to me that you would have so much swelling early in your pregnancy. I had a lot of swelling, and I had high blood pressure at the end of my pregnancy that caused me to be induced, but my swelling didn't set in until the third trimester. I would call you doctor's office and if they are closed I am sure you can get the on-call doctor or nurse to call you back and tell you if you should worry or wait it out. If it's serious they might advise you to get to a hospital, if you are snowed in you could call 911. I am not trying to scare you and I am not a doctor or nurse, but I would want to make sure this is not a sign of something serious. Good luck to you.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• ty
    all for the help
    gadget9588

Comment by gadget9588 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2011