Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what point do you seek medical attention when your borderline ashmatic child's symptoms are acting up?

this is not another "should i take my child to the ER" question.

my 2 year old, was diagnosed with reactive airway disease back in november. for about a month she was constantly wheezing and getting colds and practically attached to her breathing machine. then she was fine for a while, and out of nowhere she had a fever on friday night. the fever went away by saturday afternoon, then sunday she seemed fine with maybe a little diarrhea. so at first i thought she just had some virus and did everything i could to take care of that. yesterday, no more of those symptoms, but she had a runny nose/slight cough. she woke up this morning with a horrible cough, that sounded like it came from deep within her chest. i got her to take a treatment, and it helped the coughing tremendously. i gave her another one 4 hours later, and she's due for another in about an hour. anyway, now she just has a runny nose, but she is walking around the house sounding like she just ran a marathon. she's acting just fine, but breathing very loudly.

last time i took her to the ER for this problem, which was around mid-december, they did a chest x-ray and sent us home since there wasn't any pneumonia. so i don't want to take her in just for the retractions/wheezing and make her sit in the ER for hours, torture her just for them to say don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, ya know? i always thought retractions were very serious and required hospitalization. well apparently not always. so now im listening to my child breathe as loud as a freight train and unsure of what to do? when does it become serious enough to warrant an ER visit? the first time this happened they admitted her for two days. i could call the on-call pediatrician but last time it took hours to get back to me. should i just continue with the treatments every 4 hours and hope they start helping?


Asked by tnm786 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 43 (159,608 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I wouldn't take her for wheezing because they will only give her a breathing treatment. All you can do is give her the treatments every 4 hours until she is better. My little kids have nasty coughs right now and I have asthma so, I know how you/your daughter feels. It will get better though. If you are really worried take her to the dr tomorrow. You can try 2 treatments back to back that is exactly what the hospital will do and it will save you time and money. Don't do anymore than that though because the adrenaline isn't good for her.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 5:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • Retractions would be enough for me. You are doing breathing treatments and they are not working all that well if she is still struggling. Her blood ox could be low. If not the ER is there an urgent/walk in you could take her to?

    Answer by Charis76 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • I think you could continue with the treatments although I will tell you that if you feel she needs to go to the ER take her. My DD, who was a normal healthy child for 8 years, had a seizure in August. A big bad scray one that put her in the hospital for 2 months. When she got sick again on Thanksgiving we took her back, we got set home and were back in 4 days. The ER doctor said "Don't worry about bringing her in. You are the parent and if you feel there is something wrong bring her in."

    You know your child best so if these treatments don't seem to be helping then I would take her back to the ER that is what they are there for.

    Good Luck!

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • My 9 year old has had asthma since she was an infant. Any cold or flu seems to attack the lungs. You need to get her seen ASAP. It sounds like she needs some prednisone (steroid) and she should be feeling better with in 12 hours.
    Don't delay, it can go from bad to worse rather quickly. GL

    Answer by Lornamay at 5:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • I have to agree with cornflakegirl3 if your gut says to take her in do it.

    When the youngest had croup I called the nurse line was told I didn't need to bring her in. A couple hours later I said screw it and did it anyway. She had back to back to back treatments, and steriod injections and it was boderline for awhile if they were going to keep her. She did end up going home after about 5 hours but she needed to go to the ER. Trust your mommy gut =D

    Answer by Charis76 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • there is an urgent care nearby but my friend had a horrible experience there. thats not to say i will too but they're not pediatric so the best place probably would be the ER. this just sucks :( the breathing treatments help her for about thirty minutes to an hour after having one, and then back to square one and it just gets progressively worse til her next treatment. in the hospital they do them back to back but im afraid to do that here at home.

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • well i ended up talking to the on-call doctor and she told me to give her another treatment and see how she's retracting after that. she had a pretty rough night and today we're going to see the doctor. i hope they can tell my why this keeps happening.. what i can do to avoid this? i feel so bad for my baby! thanks ladies!

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2011