Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child custody?

My df wants to try to get custody of his two children from his ex wife. the state of residence is KY. Does anyone know any specifics that would help us to obtain the children? His ex is currently unemployed and living souly off her child support and the state funds. she is also a known drug user, although that is undocumented.

the children are 7 and 9

It is only undocumented at this moment, KY just passes a new law regarding all people who collect PA to be subject to random drug screening.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • I don't know much about the laws in that state. How old are the children? I live in MA and have a friend whose son no longer wanted to visit his father. He was 9 at the time, our state usually lets kids decide when they are 12. Well she had to take him to a counselor and then go to court. So although he was only 9 the court let him make his own decision at that time.

    Good Luck!

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • If the drug use is undocumented, it won't matter. You can't take children away from a parent because they are getting help from the government. As long as the children have their basic needs met, you can't say she isn't providing for them. On the other hand, if you df gets them, will they have to change schools? Does he live in the same state or area? Sorry but most judges wont' go for it unless he can prove her unfit

    Answer by JLS2388 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • I would ask the kids where they want to live they should be old enough to have a say where they want to be. I think where ever the kids want to live should suffice for the judge.

    Answer by mrssundin at 6:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.