question about breast feeding

I am a first time mom who plans to breast feed. My husband really wants to be involved with some feedings so I told him I would pump as well as nurse. My question is for moms who have or are nursing... What bottles do you feel worked best for your nursing baby? The two I am considering are the playtex drop ins and the first years breast flow bottles.

babygirldue422

Asked by babygirldue422 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Different bottles work differently for different babies, so there's no right answer here. You will need to balance the convenience of how the bottle is put together with the material it's made of (is the plastic BPA-free?) and the price. My SIL is currently using Born Free bottles with her breastfed baby. No bottle worked for my breastfed baby.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I use NUK bottles and NUK pacis. DS took fine to them when he wasn't on the breast.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• well, it's actually different for every baby. i would trust the breast flow bottles.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 6:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Breast flow is what we use.
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i suggest you dont do any bottles for the first 6 weeks. dad can help other ways, like bathing baby, burping, dressing baby diaper changes. stuff like that
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Wait until baby gets here to worry about this. You don't want to introduce them until nursing is really well established anyway, so that will give you plenty of time to shop around.

My first took drop ins for about 3 months and wouldn't take another bottle after that. My second took born free (the free one we got at BRU for registering! haha) for about 4 months and not again until 10 months.

Remember, baby doesn't get a bottle unless you aren't there to feed him. Dad can bond in other ways, feeding is NOT bonding. Give him bathtime, get him a good carrier to carry baby in... have him burp and put baby to sleep. He does NOT need to feed in order to bond with his children. My husband has given a grand total of 2 bottles in our parenting career thus far and he and the boys are VERY well bonded.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Honestly, if dad is willing to help with feedings, I would just have him do something else. Bathe the baby, change diapers, hold and cuddle baby after you've nursed, read to the baby, ect.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• well I am going to be a stay at home mom so I will obviously be nursing pretty much 98% of the time... its when I have to run out and get stuff done that I would be pumping...and he would be the one with the baby so he would be doing the feedings... thats what I meant when I said he wanted to to help out... I don't plan on introducing any bottles until around 5-6 months... I was just trying to get ideas for when the time comes... or for if I'm ever on a medication that requires me to used pumped milk...
    babygirldue422

Comment by babygirldue422 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Bottle choice will be determined by BABY... buy only ONE of your first choice, hand baby to dad and LEAVE. Bottles are likely to be rejected if you are there. If baby takes it, you found a winner and can buy more.

Be aware that MOST meds are 100% safe while nursing. Never take the doc's word for it... they don't check the right resources, such as Dr. Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk, or the National Institutes Of Health's online Lact-Med database.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I really liked the Playtex drop-ins and the ventaires.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2011