HELP! 3 year old with major attitude!

Im a stay at home mother, with a daugher who is 3..and I think the terrible twos have transfered into the terrible threes...Im in tears because I dont know what else to do..Ive tried to be consistant in punishing her, but nothing is working! My biggest issue with her is talking back to me. She does it every few minutes! Screams, crys, yells, growls, you name it. And its especially worse in public and around others period. I was looking to put her in preschool, but whenever she gets around other children her behavior gets even worse! She becomes physical with them and verbally abusive! I just dont know what else to do...im so tired, and only get a babysitter a few times a year for only an hour at a time...ugh I need this to stop before she starts school...any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OMG.. join the rotten 3 club loL~~ I think Many moms will tell you over and over 3 is MUCH worse than 2's. I posted a similar story today in Just for fun about my 3 year old. ... I feel like a broken record and my husband is home with him today because he is sick and we just had to laugh because we have No clue how to discipline him and are both at our wits end some days..lol! good luck mom.. from what I hear, these next 2 years of them being 3 and 4 will be long ones .
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• hahaha..thanks so much! i never have anyone to talk to about these things, and i just started this sight today! glad to hear im not alone in this! And yes, Ive been hearing that 3 is worse than 2! But its funny because my daughter listens to my husband (her daddy) sooo much more than she does with me...oh well...I guess i just have to keep my fingers crossed that this stage passes soon lol!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• "just started this SITE****" wow, its been one of those days!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Trust me, while specific issues may change it won't get any easier.....but now if the perfect time to be consistant with your reaction to her and your punishments.

#1 praise her every chance you get, before the bad behavior starts, on the good behavior. Kids learn early on that ANY attention is good, even if it's bad. But if she is "rotten" at the grocery store, the next time you go, as soon as you walk in the door say "Sweetie, I want to thank you for being so well behavied in the grocery store today, I'm so proud of you" If you praise the good behavior right away before it even happens, they tend to keep up that behavior trying to get more praise.

#2 Give her random praise as well.....Just walk up to her and say "I Love you sweetie, i'm so proud of you"

#3 be consistant with the punishments, such as time outs. At the slightest hint of her not listening. Such as you saying "Please put your shoes on" ...CONT
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son will be 3 in May and he has been acting out. He screams, throws himself on ,the floor argues, hits. It is frustrating because I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. I have tried punishing him, ignoring him, giving him what he wants and nothing works. He will at least have one tantrum a day. I'm just hoping this is a phase that he will quickly be over! Gook luck and know you are not the only mother dealing with this. Stay calmmmmm
    jaja202

Answer by jaja202 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• ....CONT....if she turns away from where the shoes are say "Go to time out" Have time out be near you but boring.....have it be a step or chair with no toys or stimulation. Have her sit there for 3-5 minutes. If she gets up the time starts over again. If she acts up in a public place find a bench for time out.

#4 don't threaten something and then NOT follow through. We've all said things like "If you don't stop right now we are leaving" then they don't stop....do we really leave? Usually not. It teaches them they can do whatever they want without consequence. Even if it means abandoning your cart, if you say it, follow through with it. But don't even threaten to leave unless you are willing to actually do it. But it's best to stick with one form of punishment, such as time out.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• wow..Mom2Jack04...you know your stuff! haha, I think I have #2 under control..because i do praise her at home and show her lots of love, but I really didnt think about #1 as much...and I KNOw she loves positive attention, so I'll be sure to start praising her in the store Before the tantrums start! THANK YOU ALL!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011