Substitutions

When making banana bread, can I use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose white flour? Can I substitute it straight across or do I have to change the measurements?

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't use more than half whole wheat flour, it's more dense and dry. If you can find WW pastry flour it's better.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Just nodding my head to what CraftingMama said.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Ok. Thanks! I think I'll stick to white flour this time and look for the pastry flour next time. :)
    Megs5384

Comment by Megs5384 (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I agree w/ PP. Using all whole wheat will get the bread a very dry dense texture. go 50:50.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Try using no more than half whole wheat flour to sub for white. If the texture and density is ok, you can try adding a little more each time. WW will usually make it so dense it won't rise well, and may be very gummy in the center.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I go half & half with everything. Any cakes, bars, muffins I make, I use half white half whole wheat - measure it the same.
    Anonymous

• I use whole wheat pastry flour for baking; it is a little bit softer, so baked goods have a better texture. For banana bread, I use all whole wheat; for pie crusts, I use half whole wheat and half unbleached white.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I use all whole wheat in my banana bread, but I use a LOT of bananas (usually 5 medium all-black bananas), and a 1/2 c of applesauce, plus 1/4 oil plus 2 eggs in one loaf of bread. About 3/4 of the way through baking, I turn the temp down from 350 to 325 so it can bake through. The only time I get gummy spots is if I mix in chocolate chips.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2011