Son acting like another child.

Recently I stayed in the hospital for a week came home two days and went back in for 6 days. I came home and my son has turned into a totally different child. He pouts, throws things, talks back, it is a night mare. My sweet loving quiet child has turned into this shrieking kid that wants nothing to do with me and only wants Daddy. It hurts so badly when he say no kiss mommy kiss daddy and runs to my husband. I know I was gone for a bit but I tried to talk to him on the phone and visits were minimal cause I was in a cardiac unit. What do I do? Will this pass in time?

Punkslilncs

Asked by Punkslilncs at 5:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It will pass...his little world was disrupted and he doesnt quite understand why. Give him time, patience, love and find something fun to do with him. something out of the ordinary...a new paint set or something fun he might like....new board game....just for you two to do.

It will pass...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• He needs lots of reassurance. Lots of hugs. Talk to him. Tell him it made you very sad to be away from him. It will pass..but it will take time. I had this issue with my oldest when my youngest was born and had to bed med-evaced 3 hours away. I was gone for 9 days. He wasn't allowed near the NICU. It was tough on us both..but we did get passed it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It will pass. Sounds like he is scared and this is the way he is showing it. I think he just needs some affirmation that mommy is okay.
    binkadink

Answer by binkadink at 6:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It was just so hard being away from him. I never have been away from him more than 2 hours and to spend all that time alone and sick when all I wanted was my family and to come home and he keeps rejecting me. I tried to explain that I wanted him there but mommy was ill but he didn't get it.
    Punkslilncs

Comment by Punkslilncs (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I am sure he will eventually get through this phase.. he probably didn't understand why you weren't there so he clung to daddy. did they visit you in the hospital at least? that could have helped. I am sorry, I am sure its heart breaking as i barely leaving my son more than 3 hours at a time other than my FT job.. that is hardest too - but I still get to come home every night too.. Hugs.. just try to be patient and he'll remember Mommy will be there for him
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• he probably thinks you abandon him and so he is keeping his distance and trying not to be attached.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 6:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• boy kissing momIt will pass he just is upset about his world changing and now that your back, have him go back to what ever routines you two had before. Trust me little boys love their mommys

peace013

Answer by peace013 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2011