I will be getting on an airplane with my son is it ok to breastfeed on board...please please please help...

please dont be rude to me about i am only asking opinions

abigaylesmommy

Asked by abigaylesmommy at 5:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• http://children.webmd.com/features/flying-with-baby-is-air-travel-safe-infants?page=2
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I'm not sure how old your child is, but the only reason I can think of to NOT breastfeed is if your son would be required to be strapped in during turbulence, taking on/landing, etc.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I would. I would take a blanket or something. If the person next to you has a problem, they can turn their head. If you want more privacy you can ask a flight attendant if there's any open seats that you can nurse in. Actually, you are supposed to nurse on take off and landings from what I've read to help their little ears.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Thanks aandjamomma -- I only meant baby strapped in if for safety if there was a problem/turbulence, etc... should have verbalized better. ;P
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 6:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I do believe that it is illegal for them to tell you that you cant breastfeed. I would just take a blanket or wrap to put over you so nobody sees. Other than that I see no problem with it. And dont think anybody else would either
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Actually, you aren't supposed to strap them in with you if they are sitting in your lap
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• yes you can breast feed on a plain - just let the sturdiests know and your neighbors - take an extra blanket to cover up

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 6:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Depending on age, some airlines require an FAA approved carrier/seat. It's best to check with the airline. That's why I asked about the age of the child :)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 6:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I breastfed on a plane - I was blushing. hehe. You see, we had gotten three seats together (my son, husband, and I) all in one row...but I had my daughter in my lap. They moved me because of a shortage of air masks.. so I ended up on an aisle feeding her next to a total stranger. I told my husband I felt like in-flight entertainment. Fun times.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Oh, as far as I know.. Southwest, Delta, Northwest and American Airlines allow children under 2 in your lap. Those are the ones I have flown on.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2008