what to to with cleaning around my home

how do i get my son to do his work around the home. with out telling him step by step how to do it. when he kowns how to do it. my home dose not look clean alot bc i am waitting for him to do this part around the home. and so i wish i would do it all be it would tird me out.

mom1p36

Asked by mom1p36 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• First of all, continue to tell him step-by-step if he isn't consistently doing it step-by-step. I accomplish this with peace of mind by putting up a laminated list of detailed tasks that must be done in each room!!! I try to put the list in a little out-of-the-way spot where it isn't glaringly obvious to company. And now there is NO reason for anyone in the house to forget a step or say they didn't know...not even my husband (who never had to do any chores at all growing up).
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• well what i do is i shut off the tvs. and tell my boys 3 and 2 to help mommy clean up. i start to put the toys away and open their lego bag and tell them to put all the legos away and they do and they like it my 2 year old throws all the toys in his box but he enjoys doing it that way so that the way i let him do it. you have to show them how to help and at first help out alot then do less and less and eventually he will do it on his own, just keep it up.

Littleguysmommy

Answer by Littleguysmommy at 6:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i have tryed that.it dose not work. i put sticker to on the bord. and he has adhd too. so i do not know if that is it. i have tryed timer too. it worked but. he was will up about the time and not doing the work. he would go timer timer aaaaaaa and he would move all the things around. and he would get it done. but he would thank about the timer going off more than doing his work.
    mom1p36

Comment by mom1p36 (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i iwsh i could hellp. growing up i had to do all the cleaning in my house and my brother never helped. your son sounds exactly like he used to be (and probably still is). he never got any better
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 6:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• How old is your son? Some kids can't remember step by step even if you feel they should or can. For example my son has ADHD. If I tell him "Go upstairs and get dressed, brush your teeth then come back down and get your sneakers on" He's already lost and only remembers 'Go upstairs" Even if ADD or ADHD isn't involved some kids may simply get too confused. You can try creating a chore chart and then even break down the chores on another chart. For example: Dusting, you can try a picture of where the duster is kept, then a picture of the furniture to dust and another of putting the duster back where it belongs.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Okay I was typing when you did your responce about the ADHD.....they honestly lose you at the first step. You either have to simplify what his chores are or have the steps on a chart for him to see
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• thanks. i do help. but than he want me to do it all. so how do i get him to do it. when i am doing it all. i have walked in the there room too. afair i help him and showed him. and he looks at me and ask if he is doing it right every time. and i say yes and he kepts on doing that. i wish he would be more or thank for himslef more to know he can do it. and he dose a good job when he dose it.
    mom1p36

Comment by mom1p36 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• ok thanks. i do not know alot about all of what the adhd kids do . i do not know about were to go on it. i have been doing it on my own. i have other kids with alot of needs too.
    mom1p36

Comment by mom1p36 (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• How old is he?
    marie85

Answer by marie85 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• he is 6
    mom1p36

Comment by mom1p36 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011