for those morally opposed to homosexuality, do you feel the laws should reflect your ideals?

For the issue of gay marriage, can you support the rights of your fellow Americans without abandoning your religious idealogy?

If not, isn't that legislating morality?

If the only reasons for opposition are rooted in religious doctrine, doesn't that violate the Constitution if we are making laws based on certain religious beliefs?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Good question sweet, I would love to see some answers!

Answer by older at 6:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I know several non religious people opposed to it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I concur with older-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

Why? What reason could they possibly have that is not in one way or another religious?

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My main issue is that partners of the same sex can insure each other and designate their pensions to each other in the event of death. For them, they don't have to be married (because many states don't do that) and the partner can change if the relationship ends. Yet, my SO can't insure me or leave his pension to me without marrying me. We will be getting married after my boys graduate this Spring. But, the point is, now we are faced with a reverse discrimation situation.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• And why shouldn't they? Those for it feel it should reflect their ideals. Actually, it's not always a religious decision anyway.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Why? What reason could they possibly have that is not in one way or another religious?

They just find it to be gross and abnormal.

I have argued with them a number of times on the choice issue.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Carpy,. Thats why the question also includes just morally opposed...

That is legislating morality...and is that acceptable?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• And why shouldn't they? Those for it feel it should reflect their ideals.

Actually , I don't. There are many things that I would never allow my kids to do or be involved in but that doesn't mean I want the laws to reflect MY RULES.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't believe the laws should reflect my religious views. My religion sees homosexuality as a sin, however I think gay marriage should be legal. There is a difference in the way we treat people and discriminate against people from a legislative standpoint. In this country we just can't give rights to some people and not others, especially when it's a topic like gay marriage where most of the people it effects don't believe the way I do. I don't see it as legally right, or right in the sense that that is just the right thing to do. It's how you should treat people. I still think it's a sin, but we think drinking is a sin, talking bad about one another is a sin. It's no different than any other sins we don't all commit on a daily basis. Just my view point anyway. Then again, alot of other christians don't much like that opinion. lol
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011