I just spoke with my breastfeeding counselor and they are getting me a breastpump for free and i am sure it is to keep, I am having a scheduled c-section and asked about pumping about a week before my c-section so i can have some milk stored because the pain meds make it so hard to feed the baby at first. Anyone have an idea how long i should pump to get my milk to come in early?

This is something i have been told is ok since i will only be doing it a couple weeks before my due date which is still considered full term. and if i go into labor early it will be ok.

CEGrissim

Asked by CEGrissim at 6:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have the answers for you nor do the other mothers;it seems.. If the OB and consultant told you to this, ask them the specifics... I have never done it before hand, not sure if you were successful with this if you would have engorgement to deal with etc...

Sorry...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'm no breastfeeding expert, so someone should correct me if I'm wrong but I think your milk only comes in after the birth of the baby.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Are you serious? First of all your milk does not come in until after birth. Second of all pumping before the baby comes will just start contractions and put your baby under stress. If you are having a scheduled C-section I'm guessing it is for a good reason. Don't try pumping before you have baby, that will just do more harm than good.
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• sometimes you can't get the milk to come in before the baby is born bc a lot of the let-down of milk is stimulated by prolactin from the brain during the sucking from a baby, your body may not be able to tell the difference so the only thing you can do is try. keep in mind that nipple stimulation can bring on labor though and only do this with the dr's orders or you could cause more harm than good.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yea, the milk doesn't come in until the baby is born (your body knows the baby is still in there). Colostrum (the "first milk" is VERY important and filled with antibodies that boosts the immune system. Let your body do what it does and stop trying to rush it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Hormones are what makes the milk come in. The best that you will get is colustrum and even then, it may not have everything in it that you need to feed baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can breast feed while taking pain meds.. Women do it all the time after giving birth via vaginal or c-section.. The meds are usually breastfeeding friendly.. Just make sure your OB knows you will be breastfeeding, so they will give you something safe for baby also.. The baby may be a little sleepy while you are on the meds but I never could tell a difference.

As for storing before the baby gets here, that may not be possible..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• What is it about the pain meds that make feedings hard?
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• 1)I have been told by 2 breastfeeding experts that you can get milk to come in before the baby is born and that the sucking action is what brings it on. 2) my doctor and lactation consultant have both given me the OK on doing this about 2 weeks before my due date which is still considered full term(37 weeks). i was just unsure on the timing i should try to do this. 3) the meds made my first child sleep so much that she lost a lot of weight and i had to switch to formula and she would not go back to breast and i don't want that happening this time around.
    CEGrissim

Comment by CEGrissim (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I think the OP is worried she can't BF and take pain meds at the same time....
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2011