I'm 5 months pregnant and my 22 month old daughter is acting like she wants to breastfeed again.

I weaned her pretty easily at 14 months and recently she seems to be very interested in "mommy's milkies" again. She keeps trying to pretend to suck on them from the outside of my shirt. She is also always wanting to grab and touch them again. She suckles on my skin whenever she can.... I will ask her to say Hi to the baby in my belly and lift my shirt (just over my belly). She says "Hi" then she tries to suckle on my belly?!?!?! Has anyone else gone through this. Am I producing some kind of smell that is making her do this? Also, I worry what will happen when baby gets here and he is getting "mommy's milkies" and she is not. I tell her they are for babies and she is a big girl now but not sure how things are going? Any advice??

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 6:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep doing what you've been doing. She'll soon know she can't have your milk.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I agree just keep doing what your doing! =)
    Littleguysmommy

Answer by Littleguysmommy at 6:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My ds weaned himself at 15 mos - which was the month that my dd was born. He just didn't want to do it anymore. However, a few months after she was born, he was doing that, acting like he wanted to nurse again, etc. I was like, well, I thought you were Mommy's big boy, but if you want to be a baby again, then ok... I picked him up like I was going to nurse him, pulled my shirt up, everything. He actually nursed for about 3 seconds, pushed away, looked up at me, laughed, jumped down, and never wanted to do it again. Basically in his little toddler way he was wanting to see if I still loved him enough to nurse him if he wanted, if that makes sense...

Maybe she's worried about being replaced by the new baby that's coming, so maybe if you tried something like that - like, ok, if you want to be a baby again, we can put away the big girl stuff (toys, whatever she really likes), and you can nurse... See if she stops then.
    gl
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• She still wants to be the baby. Just keep doing what you are doing. My three yr old tryed to take a bottle again, the paci, climbs into the baby swing, and get in the walker. He is a bit jealous of his younger brother. I make special time for me and him everyday. Just reassure her :)
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 8:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• there is nothing wrong with nursing her; many moms tandem nurse an infant and a toddler

Answer by rkoloms at 12:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2011