Spin off from another question, teens and sex adult content

I saw this question and after reading the posts, I have to ask, what age do you consider someone old enough to have sex? The question I am taking about is the one about a 17 year old guy and his 16 year old girlfriend.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It's really hard to say regardless of what parents want or think whenever the children feel they are ready to have sex they will do it all we can do is educate, and make sure they are aware of all the risk and responsibility that comes with having sex

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 7:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Honestly, when they are old enough to support a child if it is the result of sex. If they are living off of parents then they are not old enough/responsible enough to do it.

That being said, I had sex 1 time before I moved out of my parents house. The fear of getting pregnant and having to face my parents was enough to make me hold off until I moved.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't think age has anything to do with it. I think it is all about maturity level. If one isn't prepared for the potential consequences of sexual activity (pregnancy/STD/etc ...) they should not be having sex. If two people cannot have an honest discussion about potential outcomes of having sex, they shouldn't be having sex.

Maybe that's just me.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:31 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree with extremlyunique..Kids are going to have sex, as long as you have taught them well you can only hope and pray that they make the right decisions. I say I would prefer you to wait until you are older and married; although I understand you have to make your own decisions and if you choose not to wait then you need to know "X,Y, Z" then we talk about what they need to know.

I don't think any parent will say I want my kids having sex at 16 or 17 although I think a realistic parent understand that it may happen.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• When they are old enough to have a job with benefits, not be living under my roof, be fully self supported, have a HS DIPLOMA, and do everything without MY SIGNATURE!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I hope my kids wait until they are in mature caring relationships before having sex...that being said I really dont think I have any control over that...they will have to decide when they are ready and all I can do is try and teach them respect for themselves and make sure they know the possible risks involved in a physical relationship...with a 7, 4 and an unborn child I am truely hoping I have some time to figure out how to do that properly lol
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• wait why are so many parents to lax on there kids having sex, like there going to do it any ways so why care??? what the heck kinda of attitude is that???
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• when you are mature enough to talk to your parents about sex without ur nose cringing.
    madisun3

Answer by madisun3 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• When they are not living in my house and they are self supporting.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I feel that when they are old enough to be responsible for making sure that they are safe and when they are in love in enough to care for the other person's safetly as much as their own then they are ready.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011