how do i get a 2 year old boy to listen when hes told to do something?

i have child with my boyfriend and then he has another kid with someone else and my boyfriend moved somewhere else and i have both children. Now his son will not listen to anything anyone says to him. he just starts to cry like he just got hurt or something. i dont know what to do anymore.

Ceece07

Asked by Ceece07 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait, you are caring for your child, and someone elses? I give you credit, girl!! He probably feels betrayed and abandoned. Wouldn't you? He probably needs nothing more than to feel safe and secure. Treat him with love, and maybe seek some counseling for him.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Poor boy. He has just been abandoned by his father, and is going through abandonment and trust issues. You need to do your best to be patient and give him as much attention as you can. He is going through a form of grief. It will be very hard on everyone involved. Is his birth mother involved in his life at all?
    He needs consistency right now. His world has just been thrown out of whack. There is a difference between coddling him, and paying him a lot of attention. He needs rules. Keep him close. Whatever you do, don't YOU leave him, too.
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 9:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Aw, poor baby. I have a 2.5 y/o and I feel you. My kid does not listen to anything I say. It's normal toddler behavior. That child, however, neeeds extra love and care seeing as how he's been abandoned by both parents.
    stefanierios

Answer by stefanierios at 11:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2008