Would you enjoy a home made craft from an adult?

Gifts from kids, I can see the oohs and ahhs, but what about a home made creation from another adult? Baby blankets or scarfs...picture frames, scrapbooks, a real wood dresser? How about a home made DVD? I've been making them for a few years now for family to watch the kids grow up since we're military and stationed away from home. I go all out into detail...even decorating the DVD case and burning a label on it...intros, closing credits...all that fun stuff that I put time and effort into.

It gets shelved after one viewing. Heck, the case gets tossed out and placed in a binder or a sleeve for space issues. I'm not sure it's appreciated at this point if its not cared for the way I cared enough to put all that into it...but I'm still doing it because I'm proud of my kids and love to show them off to family.

Would you enjoy it or appreciate something that was home made by an adult?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 7:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I like handcrafted items, so while the DVDs and scrapbooks probably would be forgotten in no time, baby blankets, scarves, a real wood dresser...yes.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I do appreciate homemade gifts. But I don't know about a DVD. It is thoughtful and I'm sure you put a lot of time into it, but one can watch a DVD only so many times...lol! I think I would prefer pictures instead either with a homemade frame, made into a calendar, or in a photo book that I could keep on an end table and flip through.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i like gifts if they are practical and something I would use or need. I love the thoughtfulness but things that are given simply because they are handmade... get sent to good will. Im simply not a knick knack person; so if it isnt something practical I dont keep it. I dont like to have stuff around simply to have stuff around.

The idea of a dvd of your children for grandparents is WONDERFUL. But I would make sure that the case is easy to store. If it is decorated so much that it isnt practical... i too would toss the cover and keep the dvd.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would appreciate the DVD. I think it's a very nice thing to do, especially if you are taking the time and talent to create intros and credits!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 7:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No .
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Honestly, I don't like getting gifts that people are still attached to like that. It causes hurt feelings because I can never appreciate it as much as they want me to...also, I don't like clutter, and regularly purge stuff from my home, and am not attached to things, even loving sentimental homemade gifts, and this also seems to cause hurt feelings....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i do. i like when people put thought into gifts because i barely know anyone that does. ever
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• How many movies that you go buy do you watch more than once? Maybe you are putting a little too much into the packaging. I would love to get all my photos and movies on DVD. I can see the point of a proper label. But if you are decorating the box to the point that storage is a problem then just stop doing that part. 

Personally, I quilt.  My SIL does beautiful crochet. If somebody around here would get serious about his woodworking I would make him a list, but please no macaroni crafts from adults!

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Love homemade gifts
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Hand made gifts from adults are only special to me when they are well done, or I know the person really put their heart in them.

Regarding the DVD: Give it time.

I too made a few family home movies (VHS then) that were (in my view) under-appreciated at the time. So I quit making those. But just recently, one of my sisters pulled out an old video I'd forgotten. It featured the family gathered for Christmas Eve with my then newborn son, and both my parents (now passed away), and my sister's late husband. Seeing everyone so happy, and all of us younger ... and recalling that lost tradition of gathering Christmas Eve to exchange gifts with our parents and each other ... priceless. When it was current, no one particularly cared. But now, 18 years later, it is a treasure.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2011