Anyone know anything about RH negative blood type?

My doctor just called me and tld me that I am RH negative and I am a little worried about it. She said it shouldn't cause any problems but I will have to get rhogam injections at 28 weeks. Does anyone know anything about this or had this?

SaraR216

Asked by SaraR216 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am also Rh negative and I am 8 months pregnant, I just received my shot. You are supposed to get it during 28-30 weeks in your pregnancy. They gave me the shot in my backside, I hate shots so it hurt me. If the baby doesn't share your same blood type then your antibodies will attack the baby. The reason for the shot is because they can't determine the babies blood type. Unless your childs father is also rh negative then you wouldn't need the shot because the baby would be rh negative but if the father isn't or you don't know then they give you the shot because they want to play it safe instead of being sorry later. That's just so you know the information BUT there is nothing to be worried about if you get the shot =] so be up to date with your appointment and get that shot so you can have a successful pregnancy :)
    Congratulations and good luck!
    ohprettymommy

Answer by ohprettymommy at 8:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My mom has that blood type, as long as you get the shot you will be fine.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 7:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• my mother was the first in New York state to get them when she was preggers with me... 1968. She was/is just fine.
    Anonymous

• if you dont then your blood cells could have a negative reaction to your babies blood cells
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 7:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• if you dont monitor urself and get the shot..u body could potentially attack the fetus/baby IF he baby is RH positive. These blood types dont play well with others.

Not to scare u.

My aunt has had 4 misscarriages and 3 live full term births..and she is RH Negative
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 7:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Thanks for the info, I read up on it more and I guess when it is your first pregnancy it shouldn't affect your baby, unless the baby's blood mixes with yours then you will produce the antibodies that will attack your baby if it is RH positive (which they usually are unless both parents are RH negative) And if that happens your next pregnancy could be riskier. I feel a lot better now!
    SaraR216

Comment by SaraR216 (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011