Medical insurance question

I'm expecting baby #2 due in June. According to the ultrasound, the baby is expected to be born with a birth defect that will require surgery (and maybe more than one). We have an appointment with a specialist for the specific surgeries. Does the insurance list me as the patient for any appointments BEFORE the baby is born (like these consultations and appointments)? Then AFTER the baby is born, the baby becomes the patient?

ETA:  I know this seems like a dumb question.  Obviously my prenatal appointments are for me and then after that the specific medical things are for the baby.  But I guess my specific question is that my appointments are for issues related to the baby and his condition and what will happen after he's born.

SherriPie

Asked by SherriPie at 7:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Baby is covered under your insurance until 30 days after their birth. I would assume the specialist appointments would be included in that. Call them to be sure. Goodluck, sweetheart.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• What's the company? I have Medicaid and they pretty much cover cover all necessary medical expenses...

I'm sure they won't leave you in the cold, and good luck!
    ChelseATX

Answer by ChelseATX at 8:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We don't have Medicaid, we're on my DH's insurance through his work. Thanks! It just seems strange to be having consultations with a doctor about surgeries the baby will have, but then I'm considered the patient, not the baby.
    SherriPie

Comment by SherriPie (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2011