Bouncers, swings, and bassinets... oh my!

Is it really necessary to have all 3? I bought the fisher-price pack 'n play sleeper because i thought it would be great to have something light and portable to move around the house or to my parents. (Which is why I haven't gotten a crib or anything just yet.) But now Im wondering if I'll need the bouncer or swing at all... don't they ultimately all do the same thing? And is a playard necessary if you have a swing or bouncer?

Thanks in advance for the advice! =)

foreversweetpea

Asked by foreversweetpea at 7:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• It varies. We didn't get them all at once, but the bouncer was an on the go item...it vibrated and lulled ONE of my kids to sleep. Another one of my kids...bouncer was nice, but preferred the rocking motion of a swing...but the swing (unless taken apart completely and reassembled) wasn't something to just take around in the car. When one didn't work we'd try the other till it worked for whichever child we needed it for. We had a tummy time mat that was like a bassinet, but in the end, they grew out of it too...so it just depends on the child. But I personally wouldn't go out and get all of them at once in case the first one was the life saver.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 7:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We got a cosleeper-type bassinet. It is full of diapers and blankets and toys. She sleeps in the bed with us.

We used the swing for 2 months-- it was good while she was small enough for it.

We never had a bouncer. We still don't have a play yard or a pack n play. You don't need to contain the baby until the baby is crawling. DOn't worry about it. It is too much crap to fit in your house all at once.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I didn't have a bassinet. We just moved the crib into our bedroom, though we did end up cosleeping. We used the bouncer a bit, but mostly for when I showered and it was just me and her at home. We have a play yard and we rarely used it. Complete waste of money. Never had a swing. She liked the bouncy seat just fine, so I didn't see any reason to buy a swing.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Well, the pack-n-play (bassinet) is for sleeping. The other two are for fun (although newborns will sleep in them). My kids never liked bouncy seats but they loved their swings. Wish we had one when our youngest was a newborn. All he had was his bassinet, stroller and carseat. And the floor. I felt so bad for him when he got a little older (3-4 months) because he had nothing to do but sit there.
    The pack n play we bought with our 1st got the most use out of any item we got. She used it as a bed until she was 7 months and then our next 2 used it until the crib was available (they were each a year apart). Then my 4th used it the first 2 years of her life (no crib). Plus it was used for trips until the youngest was 2 or so even if they were sleeping in the crib. Now our youngest is using the bassinet part of it. That's 10 years of use.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We used the pack and play for portable sleeping arraignments. Swings were for soothing when nothing else worked and my kids all LOVED their swings. We never had the bouncy seats.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No, I didn't have any of them, and my kids grew up happy and healthy anyway.... :)
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2011