What type of traditions are you building with your kids?

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• cont

We talk about things like how they were nervous starting that grade, did the things they were nervous about happen or not? What they liked about the past yr, what they were looking forward to the next yr, etc. Then, if we're still hungry (or wanting something other than sugar in our stomach), we order a small lunch or something "to split" - lol, sort of like how people usually do dessert when they go out, after having a regular meal :-)

We've been doing this since my kids were in kindergarten and 1st grade. Now, they're in 11th and 12th, and joke about how I'm going to have to call them for their blessing, at least for the first day of college or before they go to boot camp (my ds wants to enlist and my dd wants to go to college), and how my dd is going to have to do this with her friends when she's away at school, or come home for it :-)

We also go to church and have a lot of faith based traditions :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We have several. Since my dh is military and we move a lot, I think it's important to have traditions and a sense of continuity. A lot of the things we do my kids have said that they want to do with their kids (mine are now 18 and almost 17) when they're parents.

Here are a couple - every yr, we all get a new Christmas ornament that we each pick out, then I write on the box or the back of the ornament whose it is, year, and where we live. Over the yrs, it's sort of like "memory lane" when we decorate the tree - remembering when, say, they were really "into" this or that, how their interests changed over the yrs, etc.

I say a blessing over them every day before school.

We do "backwards lunch" every year on the last day of school. The kids pick the place, then we all have the most decadent, crazy dessert we want, and talk about the past yr, what they're looking forward to for summer, life in general, etc.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• we eat 1 meal a day together

we pray once a day together

we go to Mass together

we make a new Christmas ornament every year for our family picked on a sleigh ride tree

we have instilled strong beliefs-- babies are breastfed and worn until they can walk, boys are circumcised like Jesus was, the rearing of your children is the most important thing you will do in the eyes of God

we volunteer together in community service stuff
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Sailorwifenmom- u seem like a great mom. Your children are truly blessed to have such rich traditions started by you.
    Proverbs_31

Comment by Proverbs_31 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2011