Are you for or against spanking? Why or why not?

If you Spank, at what age did you start and how do you determine when to spank. If you don't spank, what methods of discipline do you use?

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am for it. I think it can be use effectively. I think that in no way it promotes violence. I was spanked as a child it worked. I can count on one hand how many time I was spanked and in turn how many time I have spanked my kids. It is only in severe misbehaving cases and it truly depends on the child. We also do time outs, redirection and loss of privileges. It is not our go to punishment.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• yes, if the situation calls for it, after warnings and timeouts, etc.. sometimes a little spank is what gets attention. sometimes it doesn't. what works for one child may not work for another.
    at 5 1/2, my ds is beyond spanking, as he's moved into the 'reasoning' stage. so we talk. and if need be, he gets favorites/activities taken away, which seems to work best.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i have no issue at all if done properly... but properly is a slippery slope.

I did spank but it was a quick swat on the butt (usually diapered) or on the hand for an immediate attention getter for doing something dangerous. I didnt use it as a threat... I just did it. It was bare hand and wasnt so hard as to leave marks... but got the attention in a BIG way. I stopped probably around 3/5. My kids are teens now, so I dont remember when I stopped but I dont think it was into elementary school.

I did back hand my teen on the shoulder HARD one time for mouthing off. I was so shocked at what she had said (they dont usually mouth off) and it was so horrid that I was shocked... and the swat shocked the hell out of her... she hasnt spoken that way since.
    Anonymous

• We don't spank. Hitting teaches violence. We use redirection right now because our DD is really young. When she gets older, we will use time outs and eventually loss of privileges.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• against. i dont teach violence, i dont think theres ever a good reason to cause physical harm on my child, and can find a better more loving and caring way to discipline my child.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We used to take away their MOST important possesion for an appropriate length of time. It's what worked best for us. I am against spanking. I really feel it sends the wrong message.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• we spank if its something that ds knows he's not supposed to do, ex: coloring on the tv, he just did that about 20 mins ago, running into the street, ect. he's 3 now so usually talking and explaining things on his level help out and we are doing time outs more and more but when they are 1-2 its hard to do time outs and talking so a little swat on the hand or diapered butt, that they dont feel most of the time, just gets the attention and hurts feelings.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I can not say I'm totally against spanking, but I'm against spanking MY child. I feel that's it unnecessary, and other methods work just as effectively.

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I do not believe in teaching a child that hitting solves problems

Answer by rkoloms at 11:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have spanked and it only made things worse, so I stopped spanking and found better ways to raise my kids...each kid was different, and there is no "formula" for raising them, I've found.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2011