How can I get my 5 mo BF infant to take bottles? He refuses, especially from anyone but me.

lefultz87

Asked by lefultz87 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's obviously not ready to wean. Can you do it gradually so he can continue to bf?
    Anonymous

• Sometimes you can't. Neither of my boys took bottles at that age.

Just leave him with milk and he'll take it, or he won't and he'll make up for it later. You can also have caregiver try to spoon feed him it or try a sippy with the valve removed (tip cup, baby takes a sip).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I read that I am supposed to try feeding a bottle to him while he's sleepy...it worked this time, I guess maybe I'll try doing it several times in the next few weeks until he gets used to it. Thanks!
    lefultz87

Comment by lefultz87 (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• good luck
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• You might try different nipples on the bottles, some babies have preferences.

Or try those cups with sippy straws that you don't have to tip up to drink, my niece liked those.

Keep trying, he'll get used to it.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2011