Is it possibe for parents to doom their child with a mental illness or learning disablitly?

My hubby has ADHD and I have some Manic Issues, is it possible for my lil one to show symptons?

kiraray822

Asked by kiraray822 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Health

• yes it is. both bi polar and adhd are heridatary. but of course it doesnt mean that they will have it but their risk may be higher.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• agreed that it could happen, but not necessarily.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My mom is wired for depression and has been on and off anti depressants, My dad is ADHD and an alcoholic as well. I have ADHD and do suffer from mild bouts of depression as well. My oldest son has ADD, and has issues in school, just like I did. My youngest boy, just got checked out and they suspect ADD with him, and that he has some sensory issues. My husband has a disability as well. So this doesn't suprise me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes, it is possible that a child can develop mental health disorders. Parents with no history of mental illness can "give" them to their children through abuse, etc. A child can develop them coming from a perfectly "normal" family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It is possible because both of these issues are hereditary but it can skip generations too.
    And don't look at it as being doomed.
    There are some advantages to ADD..I have it and I choose to look at it as a blessing.
    I can multi-task better than A LOT of Non-ADD people! lol
    It's all about learning to recognize your triggers, controlling and managing.
    I also suffer from depression and one of the things that I learned about with depression is that without knowing
    great depression, I would have never recognized great happiness.
    Life is all about how you look at things! :o)
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 1:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• sometimes mental health is hereditary with families.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:38 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• the disabilties also can be family heredity.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2011