My SOs oldest dog is on the verge of dying (I think)

He has had this dog from a puppy. She is 15. She has been with him through his single years, a marriage, a divorce, another bad relationship, and now me...so longer than anyone except his immediate family. She has lived a long life but I know when she goes, it's going to be a really really sad day for him. I'm not sure how to handle this. Help him cope? Give him space? Alone time?

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 9:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Every one grieves differantly so it is hard to say what he will need. My golden died when she was 16 years old. She was with me through my teen years, my wedding, the birth of my daughter. I honestly felt has though my heart had shattered the day I let her go. She has been gone 8 years and I still miss her very much. But I made it through the grief just as your SO will.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• it is never easy when you have to go through this. I just went through it with a family dog. I think one of the most important things is to help him understand that if it is her time he needs to let her go. That was the hardest part for my parents. They were holding on hoping their dog would get better and when I saw him I started to cry because he was so sick and I just said "We can't let him suffer anymore." I would also encourage him to go into the room when the time comes. It is a peaceful process and I really think it helps with closer. Lastly, I would ask him if there is anything you can do to help him,

Good Luck and I am sorry!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I still grieve the loss of our dog that died a few years ago. Just let him know that it is ok to grieve as if this dog was a human. The dog has been with him when he couldn't count on others. The dog is just as much family as a human. I prey for his aching heart.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You might want to have her checked out by the vet just to see if anything is going on. There might be something that can help her.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I don't think she is suffering. She is just getting more and more tired every day. All 6 of our dogs usually go with him EVERYWHERE. 3 of our dogs stay outside in the kennel. They are the stock dogs. The 2 labs and our english pointer are house dogs. The last week, he has left 3 days and 2 of the 3 she wouldn't get up when he called to leave and normally they are all at the door waiting. She ended up stayin home with me. It's like she is just too tired or weak to get up and go. She did go 1 day and enjoyed herself and she gets up and moves around here at home and still plays with the kids and stuff but for her not to be excited about going is not normal. He has lost beloved dogs before so hopefully he can cope well with this one.
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011