Is Addisons Disease reason enough to not use the name Addison? Would a girl named Addison one day dislike her name because there is also a disease with her name? (the disease is rare, but seemingly well known thanks to the internet.)

AQE

Asked by AQE at 9:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Baby Names

• no i don't think that she would be associated with the disease or be upset about that. if addison was a less common name, maybe, but it's a pretty common name. i know addisons and i have never thought of the disease or heard anyone say anything about it :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I personally think if you like the name then you should use it. I don't think your DD will not like her name because of that, she will more then likely find a different reason to not like her name. LOL what I mean is kids always hate their name at one time or another.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't think of the disease when I think of the name Addison.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I didn't even know there was a disease called Addison's Disease. I think if you like the name, then use it.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I don't think anyone would associate the name with the disease. You could always spell it differently- like Adyson or something like that. But the name is very cute!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Well seeing as I have a little one with the name Addison it does not bother me in the least and I don't think she will ever come to dislike her name for that reason.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• How is she going to know that there was an Addison's Disease unless someone told her. My cousin's name is Addison and it was because her parents are die hard Cubs fans and Wrigley Field is on Clark and Addison streets. Her name is actually Addison Clark and it fits her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Addison is a lovely name.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I know a couple of Addisons and it's never made me think of the disease.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I think this name is so pretty and it has never reminded me of the disease. I think the name reminds people more of Greys Anatomy and that spin off show "Private Practice" because of Dr. Addison. Besides the name is very popular these days and she will probably already have a few Addison's at her school already so i dont think there is anything to worry about.
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011