What are your techniques for administering meds to a VERY stubborn 2 1/2 yr old?

Most times she complies very sweetly but sometimes (like tonight)I have to resort to holding her in a manner where I have one arm pinned behind my back, her other arm in my hand, and I pin her face between my arm & my boob so she can't shake her head, and I have to squirt the meds in her mouth, and by then she spits it all over the place. I HATE HATE HATE resorting to this but she is SO, SO conjested and I can't just sit and watch her get sicker and sicker because she says "Not yet" a thousand times. I want to do it more gently but I've exhausted every other gentle technique I can think of... I've mixed it with juice, I've mixed it with cherry baby tylenol, I've given her incentives afterwards to entice her to take it... and she's complied with all of these (and others...) but sometimes (like tonight) she JUST WASN'T going for it. :( What are your techniques when you just HAVE to give her the meds & she won't???

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think if she doesn't want to take it I don't know that I would force her. I understand that you hate seeing her sick, although maybe she doesn't feel as bad as she sounds. Some things we have done are putting it in ice cream or apple sauce.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• is it a liquid? put it in something and DON'T LET HER KNOW ABOUT IT. A sippy cup of chocolate milk. An already flavored yogurt or applesauce. Double check w/ the pharmacist of course to make sure it's mix-able
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Been there.. held them in that position. After you squirt it in her mouth..blow in her face. It makes them swallow reflexively. It was the only way to get meds in one of mine for almost a yr. When they are bad congested and HAVE to have the med you gotta do what you gotta do. Hugs.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• What is it you're giving her?

I remember a stand off between me and my daughter when she was about that age. She refused, I got frustrated, told her no tv and no playing until she took it. She had to sit on the couch in the quiet and not do anything. That girl lasted almost TWO HOURS!!! Finally she said ok, took the medicine and said, and I quote, "Mommy, I LIKE it!!!" lol. The stress only took about 6 years off my life. Good times =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I put it in a very small amount of juice in his cup. He doesn't know it's there and drinks it all.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• have daddy hold her down or wrap em up in a blanket. and after squirting in their mouth hold their mouth closed until they swallow. you do what you have to do.
    Anonymous

• I swaddle my 3 year old in a blanket, lay him down and kneel over him with a knee on each side to hold the blanket in place then squirt it in with a dropper.
    army_wife_06

Answer by army_wife_06 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My daughter never would take meds. I finally taught her what a shot was, at a very young age. I told her to take the meds or get a shot. It was not a threat. I would take her to the doctor for treatment and the doc would prescribe meds. I would say are you taking the meds or does he just need to give you a shot. She also learned to swallow pills.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My 2 1/2 year old just recently decided he doesn't feel like taking medicine, which he normally does without a problem. Like all out tantrum when I brought the medicine to him. (It's amoxicillian for Anal strep for those of you that think I shouldn't force it on my kid) Anyway I pinned him on the couch and squeezed his cheeks so his mouth stays open and doesn't have the ability to spit. Thumb on one cheek and fingers on other cheek. Then I squirt a little in his cheek at a time until it's gone.

Things that have actually worked this week. I put it in one of those medine things that have the spoon on the end. I don't know what they are called. If I tell him I mix the meds with water and give that thing to him, he will comply. Or what worked last night is showing him the medince syringe and letting him help me push it into his mouth. If he tantrums right away i will give him a little space and try again a different way. GL!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• take the syringe an squirt it to the side of her cheek kind of back by her molars that way she has to work it to be able to spit iut out! and by then the med. would already be down her throat! i know it sounds mean but it helps..
    heiditr

Answer by heiditr at 10:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2011