Loser much? Anyone else wait this long to get their driver's license?

I never got my license at 16, when I was supposed and years went by and still nothing. At first, I was scared to drive, then I began driving at 19, no license just learned on my own, and almost had a big wreck. That stopped me and now here I am almost 31 and still no license. I feel like such a loser because everyone stares me crazy and make such nasty comments when they find out. I'm going to get mine soon now, I've found a class that will help me, but still. Did anyone else wait this long to get theirs? Again, I feel dumb because I can't seem to shake the nerves and my nieces are driving!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Travel

• Yep, I got mine last June. I'm 29 and finally got my license. When my folks asked if I wanted a car...I told them I'd rather a trench coat lmao. I have a visual impairment so my folks were also paranoid on who's vehicle I'd practice in...guess it didn't help that I practiced in an old BF's truck (standard) and drove a cemetery wall 2 feet. I always pondered the 6 wks classes, but instead, I put $200 down and forced myself to get a license...in Japan! Seems with my visual impairment...it's so much easier to drive on the left while sitting on the right...I just wish I could take my vehicle back with me. I never drove...until I had that 2 wks course. I limit myself though. Rain, I stay away...and not too dark either.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 10:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I was 18 and I to was scared to drive. Everything was walking distance grocery store, school, church that I didn't need my license. Until I started college. It was 45 mins away from my house and I wasn't walking. So I got my license. I know a woman who didn't get hers until she was 40 y/o and thats because she got a divorce and had to so she could get to work.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• There's no way I could have waited that long to get my license because we live in the middle of no where and hubby's gone quite a bit. It seems a little strange not to have one at that age, but no big deal. Why should anyone care if you have it or not? And really no reason to make nasty remarks.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My aunt is 65 and has no license. Not having a license does NOT make you a loser. If you live in a city with good public transportation, you don't need a license. I am sure there are 1000's of people in New York or Chicago that do not have licenses. My grandma never had a license. My friend didn't get hers until she was 28 or so.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'm 25 and still don't have mine. I get very nervous whenever I'm in a car let alone behind the wheel. Not because I don't think I can drive, but because I've seen what happens when stupid people do stupid things behind the wheel. My husband and I were almost hit side on by someone running a light when we were leaving the hospital the day they released our newborn son. I have seen videos of horrific accidents because of people not paying attention. I don't want to be on the road with them..and I don't want to be the person who gets distracted while driving and kills someone. So...I'm 25, and even knowing that if I don't get my license I may never be able to do any of the fun things with my kids that I could do if I had it.....I'm not sure if I will ever get it. I'd like to be able to take my sons to the playground, or the beach. But I sure don't want to get behind the wheel.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• 26 and don't have mine... I'm terrified to drive.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• There's nothing wrong with your not driving. But if you want to do it, just go for it! My mom didn't let me get my license - mostly because she didn't want to have to pay for my insurance and she wasn't willing to let me pay for my own as the difference from her rates as it was.

After I moved out, I was stationed in places where I wasn't able, for various reasons, to get it (mostly because we were in remote places where there wasn't a testing facility...) I didn't get my license until I was in my 20's, and by then, I was pretty nervous. But, when I did it, I was glad :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I've driven long enough to relate to not wanting to drive again, but if you have a license, it's your choice when you drive, at anytime.
    I could go without driving ever again and have no problem with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Thank you so much for everyone's input. I am feeling better now, my nerves are still there but I know I'm ready to "get back on that horse." You all have helped out tremendously!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011