what are your opinions on using a spray bottle with diluted vinager to spray in a childs mouth for screaming biting and disrepect.?he is 4

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• i have never heard of that
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Funny you say that... we use that with my daughter... she use to throw tantrums scream and disrespect us all the time...especially when me or daddy was gone on deployment and we both weren't here to intervene... It works wonders! I say stick with it! Just say see doesn't do it anymore... we call it Naughty Juice... and when we say we are going to get the Naughty Juice out she stops in her tracks!
    lynn.cox22

Answer by lynn.cox22 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't. My friend tried hot sauce and her son ended up LOVING hot sauce. I do NOT recommend soap because it can make a child sick. If a child is being disrespectful or screaming, IGNORE it. Biting, talk with the child about why biting hurts, what he can do instead and most important, ask him WHY he bit. Most kids bite out of frustration because they can't verbalize what they need to say.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Why not just teach the child how to act and how not to act? I'd call cps on someone if I thought they did what you suggested. That's barbaric, uneducated and unnecessary. I'd suggest the parents take parenting classes
    Anonymous

• vinegar will not make the child sick nor will it damage the eyes or skin if it accidently goes in and it actually has some health benefits. You can't always reason with a 4 year old--although you will find people who claim you can.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I dont agree with that at all. There are other ways to teach a child how to behave
    mommysangelface

Answer by mommysangelface at 10:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It is not something I would do, although I truly believe in positive reinforcement and teaching children how to behave. With my kids we used jars and colored marbles.

Every parent needs to do what they think it best so while this is not something I would do, if you are okay with it and it works for you then it is your decision.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Heck...I was raised that if a kid bit someone, that someone should bite the kid back. diluted vinegar sounds a lot less harsh to me. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'd suggest the parents take parenting classes
    __________________
    This was actually recommeded to my sister by a child therapist and the therapist gave the very reasons I stated.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No..did you not see that youtube video on Dr. Phil when the Mom put hot sauce in the boys mouth and then put him in a cold shower?..it is abuse. Instead a great way to get kids to stop screaming is to stop screaming yourself. Stay calm and lower your voice. Don't loose your cool. Why is he biting? You must get to his level and find out why he is getting so frustrated that he has to bite and teach him more appropriate ways to express himself or handle situations. For 2 yr olds that is pretty normal but for a 4 year old they are old enough to understand what you teach them. So just talk to him and show him. Tell me what vinegar teaches?? The only thing I see is to fear you.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2011