would YOU judge her?

I have a friend with a rare genetic disorder. She has kids but is on Medicaid because no other insurance would cover her condition. She works and so does her s/o. They are not married because if they were they would lose the medicaid on her. She NEEDS this insurance so she can have the surgery she wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford. Without it she will be paralyzed for the rest of her life. SO would YOU judge her for being on public assistant to get the medical care she needs. She has ALOT of people tell her she is abusing the system and that if she can't afford to buy her own insurance she shouldn't be on medicaid or should work 3-4 jobs to cover the cost of the surgery. Which by the way is going to cost 80 grand for the first and 60 grand for the second.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Health

• I hope that she has contacted her congressional representatives demanding universal medical care!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• no..but i dont judge any one on pa
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• first how in the heck is she supposed to work 3 or 4 jobs if she could be paralyzed in the near future? if insurance wont cover her now what makes them think that if she were to pay outright for insurance that they would cover her??
    no i would not judge her. she is doing what she needs to do without putting herself into bankruptcy for a medical condition that she had no choice or control over and is a ticking time bomb. she would like to be there for her kids and not be paralyzed for the rest of her life.
    she truely does need medicaid, no insurance company is going to cover her and she need medical care.
    thats exactly what ticks me off about insurance companies they are nothing but greedy no good a**holes.
    Anonymous

• I don't judge anyone who needs assistance. It could be me or my family one day in those shoes.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would not judge her. My DD got sick this past summer and we don't know what is wrong with her, We were lucky enough that friends and family did a fund raiser for us to help cover medical costs. I wonder what will happen to her when she is older and has to get insurance for herself.

Good Luck to her and her family I hope everything works out!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Pshhh, if I was her, I would do the exact same thing. People are worried about HER using the system? I would remind them of all the drug addict, unemployed, moms out there that use the system, and their kids etc. Sound's to me like she is one smart lady!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• HECK NO! I would tell her to stick with it... I'm in the military and tricare covers me... but I went through a medical downfall... and thats one of the big reasons why I am staying in... Medical insurance is expensive and trying to find ppl to cover you with prior illnesses is rough... I say good for her!
    lynn.cox22

Answer by lynn.cox22 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No, I wouldn't but she should see if she is eligible for Social Security. I don't think she is abusing the system. Abusing the system would be lying about income, etc to benefit. IF she works 3 or 4 jobs, she could jeopardize her health and the surgery.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Technically, she is but I would not judge her.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• no but then again I try my best not to judge anyone !!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011