How can I help..

My daughter sotp crying when her dad leaves for work? It makes him so sad to leave every morning when she bursts into tears as he walks to the door. She usually calms down right after he pulls out of the drive.. but I hate that he leaves seeing her cry every day! I know it wouold kill me to leave too. What can I do?

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe there is something she can hold onto while he leaves. Like have her and daddy have a moment where they talk and he gives her like a shirt of or something and then she can hold it until daddy comes back. Kind of like adopting a lovey but this one will pertain to her separation anxiety with her dad. Then maybe you can have her draw pictures or color one from a coloring book and do "something for daddy" so that way when he gets back home, she can show him the present she made. It can be anything to, like baking some cookies or cupcakes, or learning a new song to sing to him. Something special and she can learn to release her energy into the project.
    txsgal

Answer by txsgal at 10:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• distract her with toys tv or coloring
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I think you need to let him know that as soon as he pulls out of the drive way she is fine. She is probably doing it because she is hoping he will stay and once he is gone she gets over it. You could remind her that even though he has to leave he will be back just like he is every other day that he leaves.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• hold her by the window or where you can see him leave and explain to her where he's going and what he's going to do, and make sure she waves and says "bye daddy", and have him turn back a few times and wave and again in the car and pays attention to her, and explain that he'll be back after work. talk talk talk. my daughter does the same thing sometimes. ask her questions, get her involved in his departure so he's not just walkin out and leaving her standing there. it's an interactive form of distraction
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 10:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Tell him its just her way of showing how much she misses him when he goes away.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 10:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Distract her!
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 10:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Just let him know that she stops crying right away....and realize she will outgrow it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:06 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My dd does that when my fiance' leaves for work if she is alwake. Usually she is aleep though when he leave though cause he leaves at 6 am
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2011