• In the Spotlight:

My daughter seems impacted and has a bugling in her rectum

My daughter is 11mos old. Lately she has had periods where she seems to be impacted, and doesn't move her bowels for days. She strains to go but passes small amounts of stool or nothing at all. What is really concerning me is that she has a bulging in her rectum when she is straining to go. I have brought her to the dr and they say nothing is wrong with her. She is also in a lot of pain, and the first time it happened, around her rectum became really excoriated and sore until she finally had two large movements. The reason I don't consider her to be constipated is her stool was different sizes and consistencies. She had loose stool, small hard stool, and large stool all mixed together.
This time, I have given her a suppository and prunes, neither seems to help.
I am worried and the dr doesn't seem to think it's anything.
Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

dbella78

Asked by dbella78 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like someone has been surfing webmd. impacted, excoriated

The first time it happened, you just happened to be looking at her rear? Sorry if I sound rude.

How about just feeding her oatmeal? It will naturally make her go if she is having issues. BUT from what you say about the types of poop she is having, it sounds like her diet needs looked at.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My daughter was constipated from the beginning. I once called an ambulance because she was in such pain. She passed an Orange sized ball of poop while the ambulance was on the way. They were amazed that that had come out of her. I had her on a high fiber diet already. The doctor prescribed Miralax. It went into every bottle she took. She eventually was able to go on a more regular bases. She is now 8 and still gets constipated. From what they said on DOCTORS the other day. It does not matter how many times a person poops a week. The only thing that matters is the consistency of the BM. I hope this helps.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Ok Jademom, you are rude. 1. I'm a nurse, so a few years of education gave me a pretty impressive vocabulary I guess. And 2. the issue is that she is ALWAYS trying to go, so yes, I guess when I change my child's diaper, I am LOOKING AT HER REAR!
    Thanks for your help
    dbella78

Comment by dbella78 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• When you change her diaper, gently bicycle and walk her legs.
    Anonymous

• when my sister and i were little we were always constipated and we found it was due to milk. we had to be on soy formula and to this day, we cannot drink much milk without getting really constipated. it's the opposite of lactose intolerance. or maybe it's the same i don't know.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• so you can try soy formula and see if it helps or soy Next Steps formula for older babies.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't know if anyone else read this question and has had the same issue. As it turns out, my daughter has an anteriorly displaced rectum. Her anus is too close to the vagina, and the bulging is a pocket of stool that forms where the rectum should be and thus the reason for her difficulty passing stool. She will need surgery to correct the issue but should be just fine after.
    Hope it helps someone else. It took some persistance with my doctor to convince her the issue was not just constipation and she finally referred me to a pediatric surgeon. So, if you feel like something is wrong, don't give in when dr's brush you off.
    dbella78

Comment by dbella78 (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011