comfort sucking..

im a first time mom and my son just turned one.. ive been trying to wean him from nursing and am down to only before he falls a sleep (before his nap and at bed time) i made the mistake of rocking and nursing him to sleep i know bad me.. but im stuck i dont know how to get him to fall asleep on his own. ive read he will turn away from the breast when hes ready but hes one now and i really want him to learn to sleep on his own. if you have any suggestions or have been in this situation i would love to hear from you. thanks in advance.

christina_adams

Asked by christina_adams at 10:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried placing your milk into a bottle then giving it to him? With my kids, I would bathe them so they would feel relaxed, then I would leave them in their bed with a night light on only, so they knew it was night time and not play time. Then I would give them their bottle and close the door. By the time I went to check on them they were passed out and if they did wake up crying in the night, I would give them water not milk. My SIL swears by the "cry it out" method, I couldn't do it, but every mother is different. You could try it and see how far you get with it. But whichever you decide to do, remember, it's a process and it can be a long process with many tears, but it will work.
    txsgal

Answer by txsgal at 10:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Slowly start to nurse just until he is almost asleep and then put him in his crib..and then continue to pat him until he is able to do it on his own. It may be frustrating at first but just do not give in. Baby will get it.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It is a little different but my husband used to hold my DD every night until she feel asleep. When she turned 1 I was like we need to stop this because the only way she would fall asleep was if he was holding her. We had to put her in the crib awake and let her cry a little. We started with nap time because it was easier. We would let her cry for maybe a minute and then we would go in and tell her it was time for sleep and to lay down. We never picked her up, we would hug her and all but never took her out of the crib. It took about 3 days and she was fine.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I had this exact problem.....what i Did was take dd a bath before bed. Then i put bandaids on my nipples and explained to dd that mama has booboos on her chee-chees lol it took a week but after that she didnt Have a problem its hard but u just gotta let em cry
    HayliesMama325

Answer by HayliesMama325 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Try reading a story and giving him a pacifier,
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 10:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I breastfed until my daughter was 55 weeks. When the time came to wean her, we were already down to just nursing before sleep times. We co-slept while she was nursing, but when she stopped, I let her co sleep for a little longer, but I always wore a bra. A sports bra, so she couldn't pull it down. That seems to work really well. I also fed her before bed, baby food, gave her a bath, and a cup of water. She never took a bottle. When I finally started putting her in her own bed, I kept the light off completely (just like in My room) read her a story, and let her fall asleep.
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 11:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• He is only one. Let him wean when he is ready. You may want to stop by the library and pick up a copy of Baby Led Weaning

Answer by rkoloms at 12:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Thanks for all the advise!
    christina_adams

Comment by christina_adams (original poster) at 1:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011