Does your 6 month old want to be held 24/7?

I can't put my 6 month old down for more than 10 minutes (if I'm lucky), the rest of the time he wants to be held and it's exhausting. He's 17lbs. Who else has a baby who wants to be in mommy's arms all day long?

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 10:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not any more but I did. MY Dd was this way until she turned about 8 months old. It was very trying and at times, like if I needed to get supper started I would either put her in the swing or in her crib. If she cried I had to let her for a little bit so I could get something done.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I"m not even kidding right now...I'm holding my 6 month old because he just woke up after trying to put him down haha I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!......lol He's 18lbs and i'm pretty sure the pain in my left wrist is because of his chunk butt lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• All mine....but I held them as much as possible because it wasn't long before they wanted to be down and roaming around... :) I know it's hard...I'm just remembering......One thing I did was used a baby carrier....a good one...it helped both of us...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• LOL. My dd actually just turned 7mos, and is 16lbs of chunky adorableness. She smiles more than any of my other 3 kids when they were babies, or now for that matter. lol. Anyway, I'm always saying that I don't understand how a baby who smiles so much can be so stinkin' fussy!! OMG!!! It's not so much her wanting to be held, as it's her wanting CONSTANT attention!! She is a total diva!! She'll smile away at me, as long as I"m sitting on the floor w/ her, or walking around w/ her, but the second I leave the room to do dinner or laundry, or even go potty, she's like "um hello? Did you forget me? Come back and stare at my adorable face and tickle my cute little milk gut and tell me how pretty I am". The chick can scream like nobody's buisness, and won't stop until I'm back w/ in her sight. Between her and my 2 1/2 y/o there are days when I feel like laying down on the floor and screaming myself. Course no one would notice...lol.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes-- my son was like that until he started crawling at about 6 months. Once he could do that, he wasn't interested in being held anymore unless he was hurt. So enjoy it while you can!!

But I understand how hard it can be. I got a Moby wrap so that I could "hold" him but also have my hands free to do chores and actually get things done. But until I figured out how to use the darn thing, our house was a disaster but for the few things we could do during his 2 naps.

Now my son is 16 months old, plays by himself, and gives hugs when I ask. But it's still not the same as the constant loving he wanted when he was itty bitty....*sigh*...:)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My 7 month old loves to be held, but she doesn't mind sitting in her exersaucer, bouncy seat, or on the floor for a while either. The sleepier she gets, the more she wants to be held, but she only weighs 12 lbs so it's not like it's a huge deal. I've been setting her down on a blanket with a few toys since she was born so she's used to it - and her 2 yo brother entertains her!

Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Nope. I never got him used to the idea of being held 24/7 because I knew I could NOT do that. He has always spent his day playing or laying on the floor. He's 6 1/2 months now and is happy to crawl around, get into the DVDs on the shelves, play with his toys and follow his big brother and sister around the house. Usually at night he gets fussy and then he wants me to hold him for awhile so he goes on my knee while I play on the computer. Sometimes for 20-30 minutes sometimes for an hour until my husband gets home and then he wants Daddy to play with him, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• make the most of it lol
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• 100% normal. They are programmed to be in your arms, where instinct tells them they're safe.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• nope we started out awile ag for him to learn to play on the floor without being held ALL the time. We just play on the floor next to him until he is to busy with his toys and then I can go clean or cook :) gl mama
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2011