Do you still rock your 6 month old to sleep?

Sometimes my baby can't relax enough on his own to fall asleep and I have to rock him. Is it normal that I still need to rock a 6 month old to get him to fall asleep? I'm only afraid that he'll always need me to rock him. Is there a time where that might stop, become rare?

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 10:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can keep doing this as long as you like, it will not cause problems. I have nursed all 3 of my kids to sleep until they were at least 12 months old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have not rocked any of mine because we did not want to start the habit. But as long as you don't mind I don't think that there is anything wrong with it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I rocked my son until he was about 2, I see nothing wrong with rocking children. They need the comfort and love of their parent, especially babies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I rocked all three of my kids to sleep until about age two. It was not a hard habit to break either. I figure that I didn't have anything that was more important than comforting my child to sleep. All three of my boys are very independent too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• rock him as long as you want. He is your baby, and one day he will not want you to rock him. So enjoy it while you can
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You honestly think your child will still crawl into your lap to be rocked to sleep as a teenager? No... it's not going to happen.

I never rocked, but I nursed both my boys to sleep. My eldest stopped at age 2 and I'm still nursing my 22 mo old to sleep, but he should be done soon. I wouldn't expect a 6 mo old to put themselves to sleep.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i rocked my daughter until i was too pregnant to hold her and both of us were uncomfortable (about a year and a month old or something like that when the belly started popping), but i made sure she knew how to soothe herself also so it didnt become a problem. my 7 1/2 month old son barely ever liked being rocked to sleep since he was born. he always bounced in his bouncy chair lol. if it's not getting in the way of anything and you dont mind, enjoy it while it lasts. theyre only that age once.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 10:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I nurse my son to sleep and my husband rocks him. He just turned 1 on Friday.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 10:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I still rock my five year old to sleep when she isn't feeling well! Sometimes my three year old wants to be held until he falls asleep. Those days are few and far between.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Rock him as long as you can!!! My 2 year old won't let me cuddle him. I will cuddle my 4month old to sleep as long as he lets me!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011