what should i do?

my now 4 month old is starting cereal(via docs orders) he did really well the first nite, then 4 days later, will NOT take it anymore. What should i do? try the oatmeal, just skip it and go to the 1st foods veggies , then fruit? i dont wanna over feed him w/ formula, he's eating almost 36 oz a day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I sweetened the rice cereal with a little apple juice....worked wonders.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If he doesn't want it, don't force it on him.
    Your doctor is giving you some bad advice.
    1) Babies' digestive systems are not ready for solids until after 6 months
    2) Babies reflexes are not ready for solids until after 6 months (a baby who is ready for solids will not spit it back out)
    3) Babies should not even begin solids until they WANT them.. Solids are for bored moms, not for babies.. There is no nutritional reason to give a baby solids before the first year. Moms do it for lack of anything better to do with their time, so they figure it would be "fun" to switch things up.. There truly isn't any need to do that, though..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i even tried the 1st foods PEARS and he didnt take to it??????????????/
    Anonymous

• liyoness, i understand , HOWEVER....my son is double his birth weight and is on the verge of geting over his colic. he spits up alot if he drinks too much formula, so then what. we moms are not bored"" as u call it, thats just rediculous. I am an early childhood educator and i know that every baby is different. what u do is your choice, I just asked for advice, or imput, not to be categorized as a bored mom. please, i have 3 children, how can I be bored? I know all about the 6month wait for solids, but if hes hungry, i can't starve him. so i will take what i can, thank you.
    Anonymous

• I am also an early childhood educator. Follow your babies cues. If he isn't ready don't push him or he will relate eating as a bad experience.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• What has being double his birth weight got to do with anything?
    My newest addition spits up a lot, too.. What's your point?
    And what in the world has getting over his colic got to do with solids?

I gave you input, as well as advice..

If he's hungry, feed him. But if he won't take solids, then he's obviously not ready for them. Forcing them on him isn't really going to make him ready for them. Physically he is not ready, and clearly he doesn't have an interest.. So continue to give him formula, or try to figure out if he's truly hungry, or if he's just bored.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• First, ignore the person that said the doctor gave you bad advice. The doctor has years of education and on the job training! He or She knows what they are doing. Second, if baby isn't taking the food, wait a few days and try again. My daughter started on cereal at 4 months but it took about 2 weeks for her to learn to chew/swallow it. She was watching the kids at day care so was really excited to try it. We mixed it with fruit then introduced veggies. She really liked the veggies more than the cereal or the fruit. Talk to the doctor about other feeding options if baby's not really interested in spoon feeding.

Also, to Liyoness: I know children who were put on cereal at 1 month old b/c they could not handle formula and had severe reflux problems. cereal was the only thing to help them keep food down. Every situation is different, so list to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• cont. What is the reasoning for the cereal? Are you trying to slow down his eating b/c he's put on too much weight? If that's the case, it might be helpful to ask the doc about using water as a filler. If you're trying to keep the same amount of calories but cut the liquid intake b/c of the spit up problems, there could be other options too. Some doctors will recommend putting the cereal in the formula or getting a formula that has more calories so you can feed less at a time. (Although, that appreach caused my duaghter to spit up more. But she wasn't gaining weight on breastmilk alone. ) Again, check with the doc at the next appointment for the most appropriate approach.
    Anonymous

• If the baby is not taking it, he's probably not ready. I wouldn't force it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2008