I HATE my mother in law and I might just sue her !!!!

My fiance's mother is driving me nuts !

Last year ( Summer '09) we lived with her for like 7 months. She would always complain about my stuff being everywhere ( when actually my stuff was just in our room, the guest room and the garage) .

We finally moved out, I left alot of boxes behind but they were all kept in our old room . She would still call all the time about coming to get them but we didnt have room in our new place and I knew it wasnt that big of a deal ( why does she needs 2 extra empty rooms) ...

Then my fiance and I broke up for 5 months. While we were broken up my Fiance bought a new house and when we got back together and I moved in I realized there was room for my stuff. I went over to her house and my stuff was gone !

She said that she told me to get it but since I didnt it was her right to get rid of all the stuff and she said after 6 months ( I KNOW it wasnt that long because we were only broken up fo 5) that she dropped it at Goodwill....

That stuff was expensive and most of it was designer stuff. I am so f*cking mad! I think she should have to give me atleast a percentage of what the stuff cost

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldn't sue, once you left the stuff at her house and didn't get it, it became hers to do with as she wished. Sorry, the law states, "possession is nine tenths of the law." She should have kept the stuff or called you and told you that if you didn't come in 5 days, she was getting rid of the stuff. I really don't think you have a case, sorry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't think she did anything wrong. She may not need two extra rooms but it is still her rooms to do as she please and she didn't need to be storing your things.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• From what you wrote, good luck with that.. She called you several times to come and get it.. You didn't. Even after the break up you still didn't get it. You then waited another 5 months..

I don't know if you will win but you can try..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I also think she was right... unfortunately. You should of at least grabbed it and rented a storage unit or left it at a friends house.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Sorry but your really dumb. You shouldn't have left your stuff there whether you were together or not. I can't believe you left it there even when you were broken up?......It sucks that she dumped it, but her house isn't your personal storage unit....even if she wasn't using HER two rooms! You don't have a leg to stand on.
    Anonymous

• I would of got it as soon as you broke up and whether it be 5 or 6mos thats a long time to store it there when she told you over and over she doesn't want it there.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If that stuff was really important to you it should have been picked up 1) when she asked or 2) when you broke up. It's her house, it doesn't matter if you don't think it's a big deal. It was obviously a big deal to her. She requested you pick it up and you chose not to. I don't think a court in the world would take your side. How was she to know you'd get back together? For al she knew you were out of the picture for the rest of her life.

I would let it go you are going to be attached to this woman for the rest of your life (or at least the length of you marriage). Is it really worth putting you DH in between the two most important women in his life?
    Sparklecoon

Answer by Sparklecoon at 10:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Is what she did mean and nasty? Yes. But, it's entirely legal. Especially since you all weren't together and she did tell you to come get it (how was she to know you all were going to get back together).

I'm sorry - I know this isn't what you were hoping to hear, but legally, I don't think you have a case, and I would hate to see you spend more money on a lawyer that could be spent replacing your stuff...

Maybe you could find out where she donated it, and check to see if they still have some of it? It would be crappy to have to buy it back, but it could be a lot cheaper than having to replace it all straight out...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Was she charging you a fee to store your stuff? If not, you took advantage of her for a very long time. I don't blame her for getting rid of your stuff.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It may not have been that big of a deal to you to not pick your stuff up, but it seems like it was a big deal to her. And it's her house, her space. She called you several times, asking you to come get your stuff. You disrespected her home by assuming it was no big deal to not honor her request, and decided she didn't need the rooms in her own house. Frankly, I would have done the same thing.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011