My daughter is 2 and sleeping in bed with my still

my daughter is 2 and sleeping in bed with me still. she slept in bed with me since she was born till now. I was going through a mommy faze where if she was sleeping in her bed or in a diff room than I was I would think of the worst thing soo i would get up and check on her all the time I wouldnt be able to sleep at all in tell she was next to me . I know its my fault that she has probs sleeping in her bed . so what should I do. Most times I wait till she falls asleep and move her to her bed . she share a room with her six year old brother too. well she wake up in the middle of the night and walk in my room and I cant put her back to her bed cause she cry and wake up her brother and he has school. soooo what should I do ??

tearb

Asked by tearb at 10:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 3, and while she lays down in her own bed, she always wakes up in mine. Sometimes she won't come until 6 am, other times it's the moment I lay down. It's a comfort thing, and it is hard to say no. Honestly, as long as it isn't becoming a problem, no need to stop. However, if it is becoming a problem, I definitely agree with Lefultz87. Make it special. Before bed my daughter takes a bath, all by herself (I watch from the hall, so she's being independent.) We brush her teeth, and she helps, so she feels like a big girl. She brushes her hair, we put on lotion, she picks out a story, we read, and then I kiss her and she puts herself to sleep. Let her feel like a big girl, like she's too big to fall asleep in your bed, and it should take care of itself. GOOD LUCK!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 11:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Well I haven't been there yet, but my 5 mo is co-sleeping as well...and everyone tells me when the time comes, i need to train him to fall asleep in his own room. Moving her after she falls asleep isn't helping her become comfortable with her own room....You could try putting her to bed a little earlier before she gets tired and cranky, and/or making up a special bedtime routine in her room--getting ready for bed, story time, etc. Good luck!
    lefultz87

Answer by lefultz87 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• This is probably bad, but you could try giving her a reward if she goes so long sleeping in her own bed..
    Haven't had this problem, so not entirely sure what to do.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'd just let her sleep with me...I don't think that's a bad thing....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If you want her to remain in her room without waking her brother, best thing would be probably giving her a security item to sleep with that would be easier for her to ween from as she got older. Get her a pillow pet or let her pick out her own bedding that she'd feel happy to sleep with. Maybe read her a bedtime story or stories till she falls asleep...or you can give her a shirt that has your scent so she can sleep better in her own space. If anything else...maybe you try to squeeze into bed with her till she's asleep and inch out of her bed and into yours.

My situation, I had to put a door lock on the inside...the plastic door knob cover so he wouldn't follow me. His brother's not in school yet. I had a baby monitor in the room so I could watch how long it took him to self sooth...most of the time if he couldn't access me, he's stay in his room playing until he was tired enough to climb into his own bed. G'luck!
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 11:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I agree with Anna, I love sleeping with my babies ( 3 1/2 and 13months). My son (the oldest) will go to sleep in his bed with his dog. Sometimes he'll stay there all night, other times he'll get in bed with me... My daughter is horrible about going to sleep herself. She throws a fit in either one of her beds, so she usually takes a nap in her swing... I would do what feels right! Maybe you could temporarily move her bed into your room? Let her get comfortable in it, and then start working on moving it back to her room... Good luck

momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 9:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• thanks other moms lol you guys make me feel like I m not the only one in the world with this problem !! and when I talk to some here like my mother or friends the act like it is and was soooo horrible of me to sleep in the same bed
    tearb

Comment by tearb (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2011