Teaching my child to swim

I finally got us signed up to use our local pool and we went for the first time today. It took 20 mineuts to coax my ds into his bathing suit and out to the pool area but once we were in he LOVED it. I would like to start teaching him how to swim, he's almost 3. Any advice and pointers are how to make it an enjoyable event for both of us?

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 10:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could consider taking him to lessons but if you just want to do things yourself you can. If he is not nervous in the water then I would have him hold onto the side and kick a little. I also think letting him wear a bubble and moving around the pool on his own is a great thing. At this age trying to get him to put his face in is also helpful. Just start by putting your mouth in the water and showing him how to blow bubbles and see if he will copy you.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Just start in a shallow pool. Hold out to your side, and tell him to kick his legs and paddle his arms. Make sure he has floaties on. Or a life jacket. Do that for a week or so, and then let him try it on his own, and follow behind him. Just keeping doing that until he can swim well on his own.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Three is the perfect age to start a Red Cross swim program. It is so important for little ones to know what to do if they fall into deep water

Answer by rkoloms at 12:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2011