When is Unemployment insurance available?

I found out my boss is doing lay offs at the end of this month and I'll be laid off. How soon can you file for unemployment through the EDD? I don't want to apply too soon and cause delays.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• You should apply the week you get laid off, it may take a couple weeks for it to kick in but it can be back dated to the week you apply.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• As soon as you are no longer an employee you can apply online. The quicker the better. It took me 2.5 months to get my first payment.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You cannot file until the week you are laid off. File the day you are laid off.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• File the first day you are out of work. Do it online. I know in IL the process can be pretty quick online. My brother started getting paid exactly 2 weeks after he filed.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011