Worst night ever... (vent, kinda long)

OMG I HATE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so my son had dance tonight at 5:45pm and the blizzard we were forecasted to get was not expected to start until 8pm, so I took him. On my way there I noticed my battery light was on, so I called my dad to ask what it meant. (i'm completely and 100% car illiterate, if it weren't for my dad I wouldn't have a working car ever) He said if my car started without an issue and was running fine then I probably had some loose cables, or my alternator was going bad. Either way the battery is brand new, less then a year so he said if I wasn't having any light dimming, and the car wasn't stalling I was fine for the trip I was making and we'd check it after all the weather cleared. So my son's dance class ended, still no snow yet, and I begin driving home. It starts to ice on the way, so I had to go rather slowly on the freeway and it was taking longer then normal. All of a sudden everything in my car just cut off, no warning or anything. Lights, radio, heat, and wipers all stopped working at once. I had an oh shit moment and cut across 2 lanes to get off at the exit I had almost passed. When I applied my brakes as I was getting off on the ramp my engine died, and by the time I came to a stop at the bottom I had no power at all, not even enough to put my hazard lights on. So I was stuck, in the middle of the off ramp, from a very heavily populated freeway. To make matters worse almost as soon as I stopped it started snowing like crazy, along with the ice so there went visibility. I called my dad in tears and he came as soon as he could, 45 minutes later. To make matters even worse my cell phone completely died after I called him, so if anything went wrong I was just 100% screwed. He ended up pushing me to a gas station and a friend came to help tow me home. Turns out my alternator wasn't going bad, it was completely shot. 2.5 hours later, with 5 inches of snow on the ground, 1/4 inch of ice and 40mph wind gusts I finally made it home. And my son was a trooper the entire time, even though I know he was bored out of his mind... I feel better now, thanks for listening!!!

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Glad you and your son both made it home OK. My Dad rescued me many a time with my cars 15-20 yrs ago...

Take care and stay warm!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 1:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• wow.. that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that
    I hope things get better for you, and fast!
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• OMG! I am sorry to hear what a horrible night you had but happy that you and your son made it home OK. To make you feel any better, last night my SO, me and my daughter ended up in a ditch in la la land and luckily a very nice man stopped and helped tow us out of the ditch. I hate snow too :)
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 11:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Oh man! I'm so sorry! I'm glad that everything turned out ok and you and your ds got home safe though!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Sorry you had such a horrible night. I'm glad you all got back home safely.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Sorry you had such a terrible scary night but glad you made it home safely and your boy was a trooper about it all.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Well, at least you had an eventful evening. Not the way you wanted it though.Just be thankful that you got home safe and you son didn't complain. What more could you ask for?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• :( sorry to hear that. That´s one of the reasons I preferred the older more "mechanical" cars!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 1:06 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Omg thats horrible! I would've panic-ed big time!!
    HayliesMama325

Answer by HayliesMama325 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 3, 2011