dd, 3yrs old talking back

Idk what to do.....she is bieng a tiny terror...she has a smartass answer to everuthing

HayliesMama325

Asked by HayliesMama325 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Lol get used to it it's going to get worse when she gets older
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 11:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I hate that answer .. "Get used to it" .. That's where parenting goes wrong is when parents step back and just accept the way things are. We're molding these children and building them up to be great men and women. If we just step back and get used to it we're failing them as parents. She needs to have consequences to her actions and words. If there's something you feel is innapropriate then change the behavior by punishing her for doing it. You can do a number of different punishments for talking back, but use what works for you and your child. Just don't "Get used to it", because that's the biggest cop out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Ignore some of it, tell her what would have been nice to say, or tell her there will be a time out or something special will be taken away if she says that agin. Follow through. Take all anger out of the situation and stay calm and matter of fact.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My son is 3 and strong willed and a smart ass already like his Father ( although I don't say that to him or around him ) it is very hard to deal with right now.. we have always HAD to be stern, consistent and follow through on every thing we say and do.. well, this 3 year old attitude and temperment is again, throwing us for a loop.. we feel clueless because he doesn't mind time out - totally sits in his timeout chair facing a wall with nothing to do 0- then gets out and does the same thing he did to get in there - and could and does repeat this hourly and daily.. he gets toys taken and now gives us MORE toys and tells us pretty soon all his toys will be gone and adds a bummer to the sentence... I certainly don't "get used to it" and will not ignore things I don't want happening when he is older but... I have run out of redirecting ideas and creative things to help keep things running smoothly.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I can not hear ugly talk. I say " I am your precious mommy I can't hear you when you talk like that. Can you say it again in your nice, respectful voice"? I ask the child to repeat what they are saying in a nicer way. I should not allow my child to be disrespectful to me or anyone else. If that doesn't work, I ask them to sit on the couch and think of a nicer way of speaking to me, We don't continue until she speaks nicely to me. It can take awhile but more than worth it. I do this with whining too. Of course ,I have to watch how I speak to them too. ugh
    Mommad1947

Answer by Mommad1947 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree with Jazz
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011