Up until about 2 weeks ago, my daughter, who will be 3 next month, was an easy to care for, happy child. Then like the flip of a switch, everything has become a struggle: Meal time, Bed Time, Dropping off at the sitters...all of it done with tears and tantrums. She constantly has a grumpy disposition, and I have no idea what has happened. Any ideas on what's going on and what I can do to get my happy kid back?!

triciahinrichs

Asked by triciahinrichs at 9:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Has there been any big changes in her life recently? Are the sitters trustworthy (scary as it is, is there any chance she's being molested by them or someone else?)? Have you tried talking to her to see what is going on in her life? I'd be highly suspicious, if it came on suddenly like this.
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 9:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Did you say that she is about to be three? They say that the two's are terrible, but I totally disagree and so do most other moms I have talked to. I think the three's are the worst age of all. This behavior is what happens when a kid turns 3. I wish it weren't true. I had to go through this with two at the same time. Not fun. Good luck!!!
    momtotwins

Answer by momtotwins at 10:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• 2 year olds have NOTHING on Three. 3 year olds have a burgeoning sense of independence, although they sometimes percieve more ability than their dexterity or maturity can handle. They grow more keenly aware of having control over their world. Most 3-year olds have developed their communication skills enough to express desires.

Give your DD control over at least various aspects of her day. Let her help make the meal or pick out a side dish. At bed time, let her pick her PJs, who is reading, whether the bath has bubbles or not. Let her decide if you give her four hugs or three at drop-off. And so on. 

Three year olds yearn to be in control of their own worlds like we do! Clearly they are too young to get what they crave. We compromise by giving them some.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• The other thing I wanted to add (but ran out of characters. LOL!) We grow with our kids. We adapt. We learn how to give enough of what they crave without giving too much. And they go and change again.

My almost 4-yr old has now hit the "Major Drama Queen" stage. It's lovely. My 6-year old is currently in a nice cooperative space. Then again, he is out of school for the summer. School means friends with different influences which means lots of potential 'fun' at home. THis is not to scare you - it *is* to prepare you. Each new milestone our children hit means new challenges for us - especially since it sometimes appears that our sweet children have been replaced by difficult imps. Rest assured as you both come to terms with these new challenges, you'll both find a nice, happy common ground and your daughter will morph back to the sweet kid she really is.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Sounds like the Terrible 2's hit her at age 3.
    Its 100% Normal, its apart of her growing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• she is a 3 yr old just hang in there it only gets better..
    kanela

Answer by kanela at 10:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• 3 years old is the WORST!! For a while I couldn't stand my 3 year old, and yes I say that with love! She is now almost 4 and while she is still headsrtong she has gotten sooo much better, hang in there!
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I have to agree! My son got worse and worse the closer his birthday got. And good grashish is he hard to handle now! Just breath!
    clds0507

Answer by clds0507 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER TURNED 3 IN JUNE. SHE IS JUST THE SAME. SHE FREAKS OUT ABOUT EVERYTHING. IT USE TO BE SO CALM AND EASY. NOW EVERYTHING IS A STRUGGLE. IT IS LIKE SHE HAS A SPLIT PERSONALITY OR SOMETHING.I WAS JUST TELLING MY HUSBAND THE OTHER DAY I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE THE TERRIBLE TWO'S, NOT 3'S.
    MOM617

Answer by MOM617 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2008