How do I get my 2 year old to be less clingy?

My daughter is so clingy and will hardly go to anyone else unless she is in a really good mood. Is this just a stage, or is she just a Momma's girl?

MommyDwire2

Asked by MommyDwire2 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is the same exact way. When you find an answer or solution please let me know LOL :)
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son is the same way though he will go to dh. For some children it may just be a phase. For my son it is social anxiety, he doesn't like people/public situations. We have started taking him to playgroups etc once a week.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 11:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It will pass. I know sometimes they want you at the worst times, but take it all in, hold your baby, and remember, she's only little once Mama! You'll look at baby pictures years down the road, and feel like you never got to hold her enough! No matter how much you held them!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It's hard to tell if it's just the same or if she's just a clingy personality. You can do a number of different things like leaving her with someone for an hour. Just go grocery shopping without her and leave her with Grandma (for example). You could also have her dad (if he's available) take her out for an hour without you. Either way giving her that seperation may help her realize she doesn't need to cling. Also, don't encourage it by any means. Sure love her, hug her, kiss her, etc, but don't allow her to hang on your every move. Explain to her that she's a big girl and can play by herself, or she doesn't need you to go to sleep, etc. Just try to encourage her to be more independent. I can't garuntee, nobody can, that it'll be an easy transition. Hopefully though it will be.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Believe it or not, it is a good thing; what you call "clingy" is a demonstration of how well bonded the two of you are.

It won't last, and when you teen crosses the street to avoid being seen by friends when she is out with your mom, you will look fondly at this stage

Answer by rkoloms at 12:31 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It is more then likely just a phase she is going through. I know it is hard because it feels like you never have time for yourself. If you really want to try and try to get her to not be so clingy you have to let her see that she can be safe and okay with other people. When she cries if someone else if holding her just say, "YOu are okay I'm right here." If you aren't up for that just go with it, she should out grow it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Do enjoy it while you can. She will be off to school before long and someday a teenager trying to break free. I always think that a child should be hugged and held if the child wants it. It creates a sense of security for the child. It will pass someday.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I always enjoyed those moments. As they grow older those moments will not happen so often and you will long for them. Enjoy your baby
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Trust me guys, I am enjoying it! I love holding Chloe. She does spend the night at Grandma's once a week and Dad takes her to the park and such a lot. But the second she sees me again it's like she hasn't seen me for a week. I always make a big deal of seeing her if I haven't, even for 5 minutes. But it's so hard to leave her at home if I go somewhere...I really do hope it's just a stage because she loves playing with other children and at the park and such. Thank you for all your advise!! :D
    MommyDwire2

Comment by MommyDwire2 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2011