Not a morning kid

I try to keep my DS on a schedule, but that's sometimes difficult. He's 2y 9mo. and when I have to wake him up in the mornings or after his nap he is whiny and moody. It takes him a good 20-30 minutes to fully wake up. He tends to ask for a snack (donut or cookie thanks to Daddy) and when is say no he just breaks down into tears which can escalate quickly into a temper tantrum. I can threaten to spank but that's kins of a loosing battle because I don't like to and once I do that is off the table and the tantrum gets worse. I don't want to put him back to bed because he'll go back to sleep. Any advice?

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 11:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Personally I don't do naps just so they can sleep through the night, 2nd no one likes to be woke out there sleep maybe ease into it like wake up sweetie it time to have some fun & do an art project something that will peak is interest get him up & going. As for the snacks offer a healthy alternative

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 11:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It sounds like he might not be getting enough sleep if he can easily fall back asleep.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 11:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I had this problem long ago. One simple solution I found that's continued to work for 7 years now is starting him a warm bath FIRST thing in the morning. It calms him and comforts him and wakes him up at the same time. While he's in there I give him two options for breakfast so he feels he has some control. Giving them options to choose helps. Also staying positive is key!! Don't let them run you down. haha
    mamastyles

Answer by mamastyles at 12:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would try putting him to bed by 7:30 at night and letting him sleep until he wakes up, you have to try this on a weekend to see how long he sleeps and you don't have to worry about waking him up. That way you will get an idea of how much time he really needs for sleep. I think if you have to wake him up then he really isn't getting enough sleep. Also I don't think spanking him because he is whining is the way to go. I would let him have a snack, just give him a choice of tow things you think would be okay for him to have.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My kids were slow to wake up also. I had to hold them and snuggle for 15 to 20 mins until they fully woke up.

Give him two choices of snack. One can be a "cookie" that's healthy. At that age, just using the work cookie might be enough to fool him. Give him a breakfast bar or granola bar, something you want him to have, just call it a cookie.

I always started them with a drink of milk or drinkable yogurt, then they didn't whine as much.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My 4 y/o DS is slow to wake up also. We do showers and baths in the morning. I've noticed since we started doing that it helps him wake up faster than before. I don't really have to worry about what he eats. We don't have alot of junk food, and my kids love fruit. So we do alot of that in the mornings with yogurt or cereal. As for naps. My 2 years old still takes naps, but my 4 year old just has a quiet time. He can play in his room quietly while his brother sleeps, and if he wants to can take a nap. But its not expected of him to.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree that no one likes to be woke up frm their sleep. He's probably just not a happy person when woke up. I know I'm not. Maybe his naps could be a little longer or you can turn on the light 1st and play some happy music to wake him up, but if he wants to lay in bed for a little longer let him.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011