I am having major trouble with my son now he is only 4 years old and has been diagnosed with severe ADHD, slight Autism and severe anger problems. I am not sure if i should put him on medication for this. How do you take care of a child with such servere problems? Also how does mom keep her sanity?

he threatens to kill people and animals. He beats on his 2 year old sister just because he can. He has no emotions. hates to say i love you or give hugs and kisses.

He likes to distroy things ( anything that he gets his hands on) for example he kicked a huge hole in my wall just because he didnt like it at that time. When he does bad things he acts like its an accomplishment and he dont understand why he is getting in trouble. He has more energy than 20 kids his age need. Goes days without eatting if i dont give him what he wants.

charityr2008

Asked by charityr2008 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Health

• Well, I would have to say to get him on some medications. This is truly not fair to your other child. I mean, you could wind up with two problems on your hands. Seriously, you need to get him some help, you cannot do it by yourself.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have a similar child and YES!!! PUT HIM ON MEDICATION!!! we have gone through a few different kinds but it can be done!!! It is only fair to him to experience life from behind his fog. also,tough balancing act but you also cannot let him get away with this behavior behind his mental health issues. He needs to learn to be held accountable for his actions. He will need to be a member of society an you need to prepare him as such. Find a Dr you trust and fight insurance when they give you cr** cuz they will!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I also have a child with Autism/anger problems as well I totally understand how you feel. I think the best thing is to get him on medication and some classes if you can. I never used to agree on medication but I think this could help him.
    sweetsmo

Answer by sweetsmo at 9:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I've read adding iron supplements can really help. My son has autism and is on the gluten/casein free diet. That has helped us a lot.

In your case, I would start with medication and then see if you can phase in the extra iron and change the diet once he is more compliant.

Good luck mama.
    Anonymous

• My son has ADHD. We were against medication for him, but started him on low doses for school. That was several years ago. We've never tried supplements or special diets. I was told by the pediatrician that the special diets are very expensive though.
    You keep your sanity by getting the child help. Get yourself a support system as well so you can have a moment to yourself - even if that means just going to get groceries. We've had family sessions too. Dont feel bad for crying about it either. It's very stressful and can tear the whole family apart if not dealt with.
    singingoutloud

Answer by singingoutloud at 7:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2008