I heard of something unusual on the news......

Someone is stealing manhole covers! Who would have thought that this could happen? They think that someone could be selling it for scrap metal.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Oh...remember... they ARE heavy.

And a correction... not worth a couple of hundred a piece, that is ONLY the cost to REPLACE them! Thieves only end up with a few dollars for each one. Not worth that!

BUT maybe they can get a job with the city that pays more an hour to replace them!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 12:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• People can do some strange things.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• well i think you would have to be strong for that too. the economy is very low so if you dont have a job stealing scrap is high priority right now
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 12:28 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• People do really strange things but like you said they could be selling it
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 12:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My dad has one in our garage...shhh.
    Actually I have no idea where my dad got it but we've had it my entire life. We also used to have a one way sign or something. I think my dad might have been a bit of a trouble maker in his youth, lol. Our house was also filled with stolen milk crates. There's a reason supermarkets keep those locked up...they belong to the dairies. My dad said they used to stop behind a local market and grab them at night after it was closed. Poor market.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• you've gotta admit there's some brains behind that plan... who would think to steal manhole covers? Stealing is stealing, but at least they're going about it a more intelligent way... Not one of the guys you see on worlds dumbest criminals lol
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Where I work we used to have metal shopping carts and because people would steal them to sell for scrap metal we had to get rid of them and purchase the hard plastic carts. It was costing the co. too much money replacing carts.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes I read about that AND saw it on the news. They're worth a couple of hundred bucks a piece!

BAD thing is if you don't notice it's off and your tire gets stuck in them! Crunch goes your axel and front end Im sure.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 12:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• you mean they can lift those things?
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 2:00 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Is that happening in the US? I had only heard of it happening in China before. The most unusual one I heard of was an entire escalator being stolen.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 4:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2011