Is headstart a good program?

I was just wondering if it was worth my time. My son is 3, smart as a whip, no health issues...so should we get him involved with headstart..what do they do?

Patriotsgurl84

Asked by Patriotsgurl84 at 12:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think its a good opportunity to learn more and get used to being in an environment with other children

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 12:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• yes , its worth it , they do the same as any pre-school does , its a great preparedness for kinder. and school , it is school.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It depends on the city you live in. Locally, no, sadly our headstart is used by the parents who don't deserve to be parents, its not funded properly, and there are many loopholes with the staff. Yet in just the next county over the headstart program is phenomenal. Headstart was originally started so low income families had a chance to send their children to preschool so these already at risk kids didn't fall behind before kindergarden. It was to help all children, regardless of income, start on the same playing field academically. In order to qualify for our local headstart you have to meet income guidelines, but I'm not sure this is true for every program. The best advice I can give you is if you're interested call your local program and ask questions, and then show up at a center un-announced for a visit and see how they react to this, and how they treat your son. Best of luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Headstart used to be thought of as something that only lower income families with children could do...but that's not true and never was.
    It prepares toddlers (pre pre-schoolers) for Kindergarden and being seperated from their moms (families) for short bouts of time.
    Which is great for moms dealing with kids that have seperation anxiety.
    Headstart teaches basics that needed to be learned before kids enter Kindergarden.
    Hope this helps.
    ~Missi~
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My son is around me 24/7 and is a total Mama's boy, so this would be good for him...
    Patriotsgurl84

Comment by Patriotsgurl84 (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• This is from the early childhood learning iniciative website, which is what started and funds Headstart. It is for low income families, always has been, and over the years the income guidelines have been changed and vary from state to state. But yes, originally it was just for low income children.

The Head Start program provides grants to local public and private non-profit and for-profit agencies to provide comprehensive child development services to economically disadvantaged children and families, with a special focus on helping preschoolers develop the early reading and math skills they need to be successful in school
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yep its awesome. It gives them a jump on things they need for kinder and socialization skills.

Answer by gemgem at 8:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes, Headstart was originally for low income families. It depends on your communitiy. I have consuslted for Headstart programs in years past. I have seen some great ones, and i have seen some that are very sad. You just need to check out the one in your community. I have seen some kids get that jump for kindergarten in the good programs, and i have seen some kids learn things that made their parents pull them out (like bad manners, cursing, bullying, etc.). It's basically like any other pre schooling program, you have to see it it's right for your child, and your family as a whole.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 8:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It depends on the type of people that are going to the headstart in your area. The one my older daughter went to was really good and had alot of parent participation the one my middle daughter went to was awful and I ended up pulling her out early because the other children there were too wild and abusive toward her. I will be putting my younger daughter in a real preK when the time comes.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It depends largely on the area you are in. I had a friend locally who pulled her child out of a program on the other side of town (close to her work) because the kids there were wild and her son was picking up cuss words from them. She put him in a program on this side of town and it's totally different.

Answer by missanc at 9:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2011