Need Help.....

My preschooler has lice. I JUST discovered it and the timing couldn't be worse since we are now officially snowed in for several days. I'm so irritated. Usually schools are pretty good about informing parents of any cases so they can be on top of things. I'm guessing she's had them about a week. While she's been scratching a lot the last few days she's also been in braids most of the time and I figured that was the cause of the itching... nope.

So what can I do? Obviously we won't be getting any of the shampoo for several days but I have to do something. Are there any home rememdies that actually work. Not the mayo thing because I know its not effective. Plus I am 20 wks. pregnant and am wondering if I'm going to find a warning on those stupid shampoos when we do get them that means i have to find somethign else to use. Is it safe when pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Coat her head with oil to smother the bugs. Comb through with a fine tooth comb (flea combs work great) until no more bugs. Wash with dawn dish soap to get all the oil out. Soak her hair with vinegar & wrap with a towel soaked in vinegar for at least 30 minutes. The vinegar will eat the glue on the nits. Wash & condition well. Pick out any remaining nits.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonnaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2011