Need Help......

My preschooler has lice. I JUST discovered it and the timing couldn't be worse since we are now officially snowed in for several days. I'm so irritated. Usually schools are pretty good about informing parents of any cases so they can be on top of things. I'm guessing she's had them about a week. While she's been scratching a lot the last few days she's also been in braids most of the time and I figured that was the cause of the itching... nope.

So what can I do? Obviously we won't be getting any of the shampoo for several days but I have to do something. Are there any home rememdies that actually work. Not the mayo thing because I know its not effective. Plus I am 20 wks. pregnant and am wondering if I'm going to find a warning on those stupid shampoos when we do get them that means i have to find somethign else to use. Is it safe when pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• •Kill the adult head lice. The least dangerous way is to comb them out with a fine-tooth comb. Drop them into alcohol to kill them immediately. Lice do not fly or jump, so they won't be trying to escape. Just keep combing until you don't find any more.

•2
    Remove the nits or eggs. This is the most important and tedious step. Eggs attach themselves to the hair about 1/4 inch from the scalp, and the only way to remove them is to pull them off using a comb. If you leave some behind, they'll hatch in less than a month. Drop them into the alcohol to keep them from hatching.

•3
    Wash bed sheets, pillow cases, brushes and stuffed animals. Put them through a hot wash cycle followed by a drying cycle at the hottest temperature. The heat will kill adults. To starve any emergent young, place the laundered items in a plastic bag and tie it shut for 10 days.

•4
    Check everyone in your household except pets; lice eat only human blo
    madisun3

Answer by madisun3 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011